5 servings/ 25 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 15 min
What’s even tastier than this quick and versatile chicken chili? The burrito, salad and soup you make with the leftovers.
- 1 lb (454 g) ground chicken
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) no salt added chicken broth
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- In a large deep nonstick skillet, cook chicken, peppers, onion, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, oregano and cumin for about 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in broth and tomato paste; bring to a gentle simmer. Stir in chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes.
- You can enjoy it as is or cool and refrigerate or freeze. Use the leftovers as taco filling in:
Burrito: Spread 1 cup (250 mL) of the chili in centre of large whole wheat tortilla; sprinkle with 2 tbsp (30 mL) light cheddar cheese. Fold in sides and roll up. Enjoy as is or brown on both sides in a nonstick skillet or grill pan
Taco salad: Pack 2 cups (500 mL) chopped romaine in one container and 1 cup (250 mL) of the chili in another. Heat chili in a microwave and sprinkle over lettuce to enjoy.
Soup: Use 2 cups (500 mL) of chili and heat up in a saucepan with 1 cup (250 mL) no salt added chicken broth.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cup/250 ml)
- Calories 259
- Protein 23 g
- Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 77 mg
- Carbohydrates 23 g
Fibre 7 g
Total sugars 7 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 109 mg
- Potassium 783 mg