8 servings / 45 min
Prep 30 min / Cook 15 min
These are a wonderful appetizer, lunch or dinner to share with friends. Make them ahead and cook them when you are ready to serve. Serve over a bed of arugula or baby spinach for added texture and colour.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb raw ground chicken or turkey (500 g)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder (15 mL)
- 1 tsp cumin (5 mL)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (60 mL)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (30 mL)
- 4 cups no-salt-added or reduced sodium chicken broth (1 L)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup medium salsa (175 mL)
- 2 small whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (1 mL)
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese (125 mL)
- In saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat and cook onion, chicken, garlic, chili powder and cumin for about 8 minutes or until onion is softened and chicken is no longer pink and starting to brown.
- Stir in tomato paste and parsley until coated. Add broth, peppers and salsa; bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes or until peppers are tender but firm.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Meanwhile, using kitchen scissors, cut tortillas into ½-inch (1-cm) strips. Spray strips with canola oil cooking spray and sprinkle with pepper. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Ladle soup in bowls and sprinkle with cheese and tortilla strips.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cup (250 mL))
- Calories: 190
- Protein: 15 g
- Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 50 mg
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
Fibre: 2 g
Total sugars: 4 g
Added sugars: 1 g
- Sodium: 260 mg
- Potassium: 522 mg