2 servings / 25 min
Prep 5 min / Cook 20 min
The hot pepper flakes add a little zip of heat to this easy soup. Serve it alongside some spring greens for a delicious soup and salad combination.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat and add onion, garlic, oregano and hot pepper flakes. Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in lentils and quinoa to coat. Pour in broth and water, tomato and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until lentils and quinoa are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and serve sprinkled with parsley. Alternatively, use an immersion blender and puree until smooth and stir in parsley to serve.
Nutritional info per serving (1 ½ cups/375 ml)
- Calories 238
- Protein 11 g
- Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 40 g
Fibre 8 g
- Sodium 362 mg
- Potassium 619 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2013.