6 servings / 35 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 25 min
When you’re making pasta for dinner, add an extra cup to the pot then use the leftovers for this meatless main dish. It’s delicious hot or cold for lunch the next day.
- 6 eggs
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked short pasta, such as macaroni, penne, rotini or farfalle
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) canola oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and ground pepper; stir in cooked pasta.
- In an ovenproof nonstick skillet (see tip below), heat oil over medium heat and cook onions, pepper, oregano and hot pepper flakes for about 2 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in pasta and egg mixture; lifting around edges to let egg mixture flow to bottom. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until edges are set and bottom is golden brown.
- Place skillet in oven and cook for about 10 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Slide onto cutting board and cut into wedges. Serve immediately or cool for tomorrow’s lunch. For smaller hands, cut into finger size pieces and place in a thermos. Pack a container of salsa or pasta sauce for dipping.
Tip: To make a plastic- or wood-handled skillet ovenproof, simply wrap handle with foil before placing in the oven.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cup / 250 mL)
- Calories 233
- Protein 13 g
- Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 279 mg
- Carbohydrates 23 g
Fibre 2 g
Total sugars 2 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 94 mg
- Potassium 184 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2016.