6 servings / 40 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 25 min
- 1 can (19-oz/540 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- Pinch dried chili flakes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) whole wheat flour (plus extra, if needed)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tbsp canola oil for cooking
- fresh pitas, tzatziki, chopped cucumber, tomatoes and red onion for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 ˚F (220 ˚C).
- Place chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, cumin and chili flakes in bowl of food processor and pulse until combined but still chunky.
- Add flour and baking powder and pulse until it turns into soft mixture that you can roll into balls without sticking to your hands. (Add another spoonful of flour if it seems too sticky.)
- Roll dough into meatball-sized balls and gently flatten each into little patty.
- Place patties on heavy-rimmed baking sheet, preferably one that’s dark in colour. Brush each patty with canola oil, flip them over and brush other side.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then flip them over and roast for another 10 minutes, until crisp and golden on both sides.
- Serve warm, wrapped in pitas, with tzatziki, chopped cucumber, tomatoes and red onion.
Nutritional information per serving:(1 of 6)
- Calories 180
- Protein 9 g
- Total fat 6 g
Saturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 27 g
Fibre 6 g
Sugars 3 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 150 mg
- Potassium 279 mg