4 servings / 40 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 25 min
Farro is a whole grain wheat that is used throughout Italy and is now more widely available in North America at some grocery stores, bulk and healthy food stores. It is similar to wheat or spelt kernels and has a nutty, chewy texture. The best part is that it only takes about 15 minutes to cook.
- 1 cup (250 mL) farro or pearl barley
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 pkg (227 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 pkg (100 g) shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
- 1 pkg (100 g) oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) no salt added vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) basil or sundried tomato pesto
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled light feta cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh mixed herbs (such as parsley, basil, oregano and mint)
- In a pot of boiling water, cook farro for 15 minutes or until tender but still slightly chewy. Drain well and set aside. (If using barley you may need to cook it for an additional 5 minutes)
- In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium high heat and cook mushrooms and garlic, stirring often for about 8 minutes or until golden and liquid is evaporated. Add vegetable broth and pesto and simmer for about 3 minutes. Add to farro and toss to combine.
- Stir in tomatoes, feta and herbs and toss to coat well.
Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can enjoy this salad hot, cold or at room temperature. A great side dish for any grilled meat, poultry or fish.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 273
- Protein 12 g
- Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
- Carbohydrates 40 g
Fibre 8 g
Sugar 6 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 243 mg
- Potassium 632 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2014.