8 servings / 12 hrs 15 min
Prep 12 hrs / Cook 15 min
Lime, garlic and chilies are ingredients synonymous with Mexico. Skirt steak is the cut of beef mainly used in fajitas and renowned for its flavour but flank steak may be substituted instead. Combined, these ingredients yield a dish that sizzles with earthy goodness.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh thyme leaves
- 3 ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb (1 kg) skirt steak, trimmed
- In dry skillet, toast cumin and coriander seeds over medium heat, until aromatic, about 1 minute. Place in electric grinder, or use a mortar and pestle, and coarsely grind. In same skillet, add thyme leaves and toast for about 2 minutes, then add to grinder and process to combine.
- In food processor, place chopped tomatoes and process until finely chopped. Transfer to mixing bowl and add spice mixture, garlic, jalapeño, oregano, lime juice, brown sugar and canola oil. Mix well.
- Add steak to the mix and turn to coat well. Cover tightly and refrigerate to marinate at least 12 hours, up to 24 hours. Alternatively, marinate in large, heavy resealable bag and refrigerate.
- Heat barbecue to high. When hot, remove steak from marinade, scraping off excess. In saucepan, place marinade and bring to boil for 2 minutes or until reduced and thickened.
- Season steak with black pepper. Grill on barbecue for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side to desired doneness. Remove to warmed plate, cover with heated marinade, then cover with foil and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Slice finely across the grain of the steak and serve.
Tip: This recipe calls for the milder jalapeño chile pepper, but use the habañero chile pepper from the Yucatan if you’d like a spicier marinade. You can also substitute half the amount of ground cumin 1/2 tsp (2 mL) or coriander 1/4 tsp (1 mL) for their seeds.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 8)
- Calories 210
- Protein 27 g
- Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
- Carbohydrates 6 g
Fibre 1 g
Sugars 3 g
Added sugars 2 g
- Sodium 380 mg
- Potassium 416 mg