4 servings / 20 min
Prep 5 min / Cook 15 min
Using prepared polenta rolls saves time in the kitchen. Found in the international aisle of the grocery store, they’re firm and ready to use. If making your own polenta you will need to let it chill until completely firm and then cut into strips.
- 8 oz (250 g) extra lean ground beef
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa (mild or medium)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 of a polenta roll (about 300 g)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shredded part skim mozzarella
- In a nonstick skillet cook beef, shallot, garlic and chili powder breaking up with spoon over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in salsa, water and parsley; set aside.
- Cut polenta into 3 inch (7.5 cm) strips that are 3/4 inch (2 cm) wide. In an 8 inch (1.5 L) square casserole dish toss them with oil, Italian seasoning and pepper to coat. Pour beef sauce over top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in preheated 400 F (200 C) oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and polenta is hot.
Tip: Prepare the dish ahead and refrigerate so the next night you just have to come home and heat it up for dinner to be ready. Enjoy a crisp green salad alongside.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 199
- Protein 16 g
- Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
- Carbohydrates 18 g
Fibre 2 g
Total sugars 2 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 308 mg
- Potassium 330 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2015.