6 servings / 60 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 45 min
- 8 oz (250 g) each ground pork and extra lean beef
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) basmati rice
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together pork, beef, rice, onion, garlic, oregano and hot pepper flakes with your hands until well combined. Divide into 16 and roll each into a meatball.
- Place meatballs into lightly sprayed casserole dish. Sprinkle peppers over top and drizzle with pasta sauce. Shake pan to help coat meatballs. Cover with foil and bake in 375 F (190 C) oven for about 45 minutes or until rice is tender and meatballs are no longer pink inside.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley, if desired to serve.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories: 290
- Protein: 21 g
- Total fat: 12 g
Saturated fat: 4.5 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
Fibre: 2 g
Sugars: 6 g
Added sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 470 mg
- Potassium: 640 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2018.