6 servings / 45 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 25 min
Something a little different for dinner is always a nice surprise. Serve this stew on steamed rice to absorb the sauce.
- 8 oz (227 g) ground extra lean veal
- 8 oz (227 g) ground extra lean beef or pork
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) salsa
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) sodium reduced beef broth
- 1 pkg (227 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) baby carrots
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) water
- Hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine veal, beef, breadcrumbs, salsa, parsley and Worcestershire. Roll mixture into 1 inch (2.5 cm) meatballs and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in 180° C (350° F) oven for about 15 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Meanwhile, in soup pot, combine broth, mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery and garlic; cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Uncover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add meatballs and stir to combine. Whisk together cornstarch and water; stirring into broth. Cook for about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Tip: Make the meatballs ahead and freeze for up to 2 weeks for a quick addition for your weekly meal routine.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 184
- Protein 18 g
- Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 53 mg
- Carbohydrates 15 g
Fibre 2 g
Total sugars 3 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 424 mg
- Potassium 531 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2016.