8 servings / 1 hr 10 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 55 min
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) extra lean ground beef
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced green bell peppers
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced red onion
- 3 cans (14.5 oz/412 mL each) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz/426 mL) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bottle (12 oz/341 mL) dark stout beer
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chili powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sodium-free beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, brown beef, about 3-4 minutes per batch, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil and cook bell peppers and onions 4 minutes or until onions are soft, stirring frequently. Stir into cooked beef. Add stewed tomatoes, beans, beer, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and bouillon. Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Serve chili with choice of toppings.
Cook’s note: Like most chili recipes, the flavours are more blended if the chili is served the next day. This dish freezes well, too.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 8)
- Calories 240
- Protein 20 g
- Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 45 mg
- Carbohydrates 18 g
Fibre 5 g
Sugars 9 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 210 mg
- Potassium 365 mg