24 cookies / 26-28 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 1 min / Bake 10-12 min
Perfect tucked into a lunch bag or for an after school snack with milk.
- 250 mL (1 cup) pitted Medjool dates (about 12) or prunes, chopped
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) low fat milk
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) soft non-hydrogenated margarine
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) whole-wheat flour
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) each baking soda and baking powder
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- In large microwaveable bowl combine dates, milk and margarine. Cover and microwave on High for 1 minute or until steaming. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the date mixture. Let cool slightly.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder and baking soda and powder; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat sugar into date mixture. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined.
- Using a tablespoon (15 mL) or mini ice cream scoop drop batter on parchment paper lined baking sheet about 5 cm (2 inches) apart. Bake in centre of 190°C (375°F) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Let cool on pan on cooling rack. Repeat with remaining batter.
Storage tip: Keep in resealable plastic bag or airtight container for about 3 days in the refrigerator or in freezer for up to 3 weeks.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cookie)
- Calories: 74
- Protein: 1 g
- Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 8 mg
- Carbohydrate: 14 g
Fibre: 2 g
Sugars: 10 g
Added sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 45 mg
- Potassium: 123 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.