6 servings / 30 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 15 min
- 12 oz (350 g) tuna steak, cut into ½ inch (1 cm) cubes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 piece ginger, 2 inches (5 cm), long cut into ¼ inch (0.5 cm) rounds
- 1 large carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) diagonal pieces
- 8 - 12 spears asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces
- 8 oz (250 g) shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and tops cut into ¼ inch (0.5 cm) strips
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen shelled edamame beans, thawed
- 1 lb (500 g) whole wheat vermicelli, cooked according to box instructions
For stir-fry sauce:
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 piece ginger, 1 inch long (2.5 cm), grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- In medium bowl, toss tuna with canola oil, (this ensures perfectly seared tuna). Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large heavy skillet to medium-high heat. Spray canola oil cooking spray to coat pan; add smashed garlic and ginger pieces to flavour oil. After 20 seconds, add carrots. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, then add asparagus. Spray more canola oil if necessary to keep vegetables from sticking. Cook for additional 2 minutes or until asparagus is bright green and carrots are tender. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside on flat plate.
- Spray pan with canola oil cooking spray. Add mushroom pieces. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes until browned. Remove from pan and set aside with other vegetables.
- Reheat pan to medium-high heat. Add tuna in two batches without crowding pan. Gently move tuna around with spatula. Sear tuna until just cooked. Remove first batch from pan and set aside. Repeat with second batch, leaving in wok or skillet.
- Return carrots, asparagus and mushroom to wok or skillet. Add edamame and first batch of tuna. Make a well in center of stir-fry ingredients and pour sauce in middle. Coat vegetables with sauce and quickly bring to a boil. Serve tuna-vegetable mix over hot vermicelli.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 440
- Protein 32 g
- Total fat 6 g
Saturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
- Carbohydrates 65 g
Fibre 9 g
Sugars 6 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 310 mg
- Potassium 887 mg