4 servings / 30 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 15 min
This East Coast favourite makes for a delicious starter. Or pair it with a salad for a satisfying lunch. The mushrooms give this soul-warming soup a hearty texture.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 pkg (8 oz/227 g) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley or 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried tarragon
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) skim milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium reduced vegetable or fish broth
- 1 can (142 g) baby clams, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernels
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook mushrooms, onion, garlic, celery, parsley and tarragon for about 8 minutes or until liquid starts to evaporate. Stir in flour until well coated.
- Pour in milk and broth; bring to a gentle boil. Stir in clams and corn and simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbling slightly.
Tips: Lactose intolerant? Replace the milk with lactose-free milk or an unsweetened, fortified soy beverage.
You can use fresh or frozen corn in this recipe. No need to thaw the frozen corn before using.
Spice up the soup with a few grinds of pepper or a dash of hot sauce.
Nutritional info per serving (1¼ cup / 300 ml)
- Calories 208
- Protein 18 g
- Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
- Carbohydrates 27 g
Fibre 3 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 126 mg
- Potassium 886 mg