6 servings / 6 hrs 10 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 6 hrs
- 6 apples, cored
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened orange juice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) large flake oats
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) flax seed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) diced crystallized ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange rind
- 1 cup (250 mL) low fat yogurt (optional)
- Place apples in slow cooker. Pour orange juice into bottom of slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine oats, almonds, flax seed, ginger and orange rind. Using a small spoon overfill core of each apple up to the top. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours until apples are tender.
- Serve apples with slow cooker juices and top with yogurt (if using).
Nutritional info per serving (1 apple)
- Calories 133
- Protein 2 g
- Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 27 g
Fibre 4 g
Total sugars 18 g
Added sugars 4 g
- Sodium 4 mg
- Potassium 275 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2015.