12 servings / 30 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 20 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) large flake oats
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped and pitted medjool dates
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsweetened coconut
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) hulled pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated orange rind
- In a food processor, pulse together oats, dates and coconut until dates are broken up and mixture sticks together. Remove to a bowl and stir in pumpkin seeds, oil and orange rind until well combined.
- Using a heaping tablespoon (15 mL) roll into a ball and shape into a 2 inch (5 cm) by 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick round. Place onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake in 325 °F (170 °C) oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and firm. Let cool before eating.
Tip: Store at room temperature to keep the cookies slightly crisp on the outside. For a chewier and soft cookie, refrigerate in a resealable bag or container.
Sweet bite: If your kids are fans of chocolate you can omit pumpkin seeds and substitute 2 tbsp (25 mL) mini chocolate chips in these cookies.
Nutritional info per serving
- Calories 112
- Protein 2 g
- Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 13 g
Fibre 2 g
Total sugar 6 g
Added sugar 0 g
- Sodium 2 mg
- Potassium 121 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2014.