12 servings / 35 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 20 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) bran flake cereal, crushed
- 2 apples, cored and grated
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground flax
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) water
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour with added bran
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each baking powder and soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) currants (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together crushed bran flakes and apple with any juices; set aside. In another small bowl, stir together flax and water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, soda and cloves.
- Stir maple syrup and vanilla into bran and apple mixture. Stir in flax mixture and oil to combine well. Pour over flour mixture and stir to moisten. Stir in currants, if using.
- Bring dough together with hands and pat out into 8 inch (20 cm) circle about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Score top into 12 wedges and bake in 375° F (190° C) oven for about 20 minutes or until light golden. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges to serve.
Tips: Once completely cooled wrap individually and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Warm up in the microwave or oven if desired.
For crisper sided biscuits, cut dough into wedges and bake as in recipe.
Nutritional info per serving (1 biscuit)
- Calories : 137
- Protein : 2 g
- Total fat : 5 g
- Saturated fat : 0 g
- Cholesterol : 0 mg
- Carbohydrates : 21 g
- Fibre : 3 g
- Sugars : 6 g
- Added sugars : 3 g
- Sodium : 86 mg
- Potassium : 72 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2018.