16 servings / 30 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 20 min
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup (50 mL) soft non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla
- ½ cup (125 mL) whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) wheat germ
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped toasted walnuts
- In food processor, puree beans until coarse. Add in sugar, milk, egg whites, margarine and vanilla and puree until smooth, scraping down sides a few times.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, wheat germ and baking powder. Pour bean mixture over flour mixture. Stir in walnuts to combine. Scrape batter into parchment paper lined 8-inch (1.5 L) square baking pan, smoothing top.
- Bake in 350F (180 C) oven for about 22 minutes or until cake tester inserted comes out clean. Let cool on rack.
These brownies need to covered with plastic wrap or cut and stored in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 4 days. They can also be frozen for up to 2 weeks.
Nutritional info per brownie
- Calories: 137
- Protein: 4 g
- Total fat: 5 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fibre: 3 g
- Sugars: 10 g
- Added sugars: 7 g
- Sodium: 132 mg
- Potassium: 222 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2012.