6 servings / 35 mins
Prep 15 min / Cook 20 min
Wake up to a delicious aroma by making them the night before and popping them into the oven in the morning. They are perfect for making together on the weekend.
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) chopped cooked broccoli
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded light old Cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped lean ham
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) skim milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- Pinch fresh ground black pepper
- Using a serrated knife, cut bread into 1/2 inch (1 cm) cubes and place in large bowl. Add broccoli, cheese, ham and parsley and mix. Divide four cups (250 mL) among oven proof ramekins, or bowls, and place on a small baking sheet.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, mustard and pepper until well combined. Gently pour over top of each bread mixture; press down gently with a fork so the bread absorbs the egg mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes or alternatively, cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
- Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for about 35 minutes or until puffed and edges are golden and knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Use a digital food thermometer to check that eggs have reached an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Get your mini chefs into the kitchen. They can help tear the bread into pieces with their hands, grate the cheese, whisk the egg mixture and pour it over the bread cubes.
- Mix up your veggies. Swap out the broccoli for cauliflower, red peppers or mushrooms.
- If you don’t have ramekins you can use a small baking dish.
- Slash your sodium by using lower sodium ham. Want to make this recipe vegetarian? Just leave out the ham.
Nutritional info per serving (1 strata)
- Calories 197
- Protein 16 g
- Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 153 mg
- Carbohydrates 16 g
Fibre 3 g
Sugar 5 g
Added sugar 0 g
- Sodium 401 mg
- Potassium 421 mg