12 bars / 40 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 25 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped and pitted medjool dates
- 1 cup (250 mL) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) soy or nut butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 mL) large flake oats
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) wheat germ
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries or raisins
- In a small saucepan, combine dates and orange juice. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until very soft. Add soy butter, vanilla and cinnamon and stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, flaxseed and cranberries. Pour over date mixture and stir to combine. Spread into a parchment paper lined 8 inch (1.5 L) baking pan and press down evenly.
- Bake in a 350 F (180 C) oven for about 25 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch. Let cool before cutting into bars.
Tip: Wrap bars individually for ease to pop into lunches. For a chewier bar, simply store in the refrigerator. These bars will last up to 1 week at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Nutritional info per serving (1 bar)
- Calories 144
- Protein 5 g
- Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 24 g
Fibre 3 g
Total sugar 9 g
Added sugar 2 g
- Sodium 25 mg
- Potassium 186 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2014.