12 servings / 33 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 18 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) wheat bran
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated zucchini
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C)
- In a large bowl whisk together whole wheat and all purpose flours, wheat bran, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda and cinnamon; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar and oil until combined. Whisk in eggs one at a time; add milk and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture. Add zucchini and stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin pan. Bake in 400° F (200° C) oven for about 18 minutes or tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
Freezer options: Wrap each muffin individually with plastic wrap and place in airtight container for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature or in the microwave.
Storage: Keep in container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Nutritional info per serving (1 muffin)
- Calories 180
- Protein 5 g
- Total fat 8 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
- Carbohydrates 24 g
Fibre 4 g
Sugars 9 g
Added sugars 8 g
- Sodium 180 mg
- Potassium 300 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2018.