12 muffins / 35 minutes
Prep 20 minutes / Cook 15 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked brown or green lentils
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 very ripe banana, peeled and mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) all purpose flour with added bran (nutri flour)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ground flax
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cinnamon and baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). In a saucepan, bring dates and water to a simmer. Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until very soft.
- Pour date mixture into food processor with lentils and maple syrup. Blend until smooth. Scrape into a bowl and stir in mashed banana, egg and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, flax, cinnamon, baking powder and soda. Pour date mixture over top; add milk and stir to combine. Stir in blueberries.
- Divide batter among 12 greased or paper lined muffin tins. Bake in 400° F (200 °C) oven for about 15 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
Nutritional info per serving (1 muffin)
- Calories 171
- Protein 5 g
- Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
- Carbohydrates 35 g
Fibre 4 g
Total sugars 15 g
Added sugars 3 g
- Sodium 90 mg
- Potassium 257 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2016.