8 servings / 55 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 40 min
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried thyme leaves or 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh thyme
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) mild curry paste or powder
- 4 parsnips, peeled and diced (about 400 g/12 oz)
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) pearl barley
- 1 L (4 cups) sodium-reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 500 mL (2 cups) water
- 500 mL (2 cups) lightly packed shredded baby spinach
- In soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook onions, garlic, thyme and curry paste for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add parsnips and barley and stir to coat. Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 35 minutes or until parsnips and barley are tender.
- Stir in spinach and cook for 1 minute or until wilted.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 8)
- Calories: 118
- Protein: 3 g
- Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 22 g
Fibre: 3.5 g
Sugars: 4 g
Added sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 268 mg
- Potassium: 282 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.