6 servings / 1 hour 15 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 1 hour
This unique combination is perfect to jazz up your holiday table. The beets tint the wheatberries and other vegetables to brighten up the dish. The unique hint of ginger comes through while balanced by the lemon and honey. For a milder version simply reduce the hot pepper sauce.
- 3 beets (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 2 white turnips (about 12 oz/360 g)
- 1 cup (250 mL) wheatberries
- 8 oz (227 g) green beans, cut in half
- 7 tsp. (35 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 4 tsp (20 mL) liquid honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper sauce
- Pinch pepper
- Wrap beets with foil in 1 package and wrap turnips with foil in another package. Roast both in 400° F (200° C) oven for about 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool slightly and peel skin from both beets and turnips. Cut into bite size pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water, cook wheatberries for about 35 minutes or until tender but still chewy. Add green beans and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, honey, ginger, hot pepper sauce and pepper. Toss with wheatberry mixture, beets and turnips to coat. Serve warm.
Vegetarian main: When serving this up as a main option be sure to stir in 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no salt added lentils or chickpeas with the mixture to serve.
Nutritional info per serving (1 ⅓ cups /325 mL)
- Calories 168
- Protein 5 g
- Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 34 g
Fibre 6 g
Total sugars 10 g
Added sugars 4 g
- Sodium 61 mg
- Potassium 403 mg