4 servings / 30 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 10 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pearl or pot barley
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby arugula
- 4 carrots, sliced lengthwise
- 2 red peppers, quartered
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb/454 g)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) balsamic vinegar
- In a small saucepan, cover barley with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until barley is tender but still chewy. Drain well and toss with arugula; set aside.
- Spray carrots and peppers with cooking spray; set aside.
- Toss chicken breasts with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil and chili powder to coat.
- Heat grill to medium high heat and grill carrots, peppers and chicken breasts for about 7 for the vegetables and about 12 minutes for the chicken. Turn occasionally until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink inside. Remove to cutting board.
- Slice carrots and peppers; toss with remaining oil and vinegar. Divide barley mixture among 4 bowls and top with vegetables.
- Slice chicken and place over top to serve.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 280
- Protein 26 g
- Total fat 6 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
- Carbohydrates 33 g
Fibre 5 g
Sugars 7 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 120 mg
- Potassium 700 mg