- Government of Canada - Employment Insurance Compassionate Care Benefits Compassionate care benefits are paid to people who have to be away from work temporarily to provide care or support to a family member.
- Canada caregiver credit: The Canada caregiver credit (CCC) is a non-refundable tax credit that you may can claim if you support a spouse, common-law partner or dependent who has a physical or mental impairment.
- Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA): CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience, and support recovery from mental illness.
- Caregiving Matters: A forum for peer support allowing caregivers to share their stories, their journeys and celebrate the lives and gifts of loved ones.
- Government of Canada – Benefits for Caregivers: A listing of various financial benefits for caregivers.
- After Stroke Recovery: The Caregiver’s Guide to Stroke Recovery has information and resources for caregivers.
- Vancouver Coastal Health – Caregiver Support: Vancouver Coastal Health offers many home and community care services including respite care.
- Family Caregivers of BC: Find programs and services for family caregivers.
- Distress Centre Calgary (DCC): The distress centre provides 24 hour crisis support, professional counselling and referrals - all at no cost.
- Alberta Health Services - Family Caregiver Centre: Caregiver support for anyone who gives unpaid care or assistance to an adult with a long term illness or disability.
- Carewest Dr. Vernon Fanning Centre – Respite Care: The Fanning Centre offers respite services to allow caregivers a chance to recharge.
- Caregivers Alberta: This association focuses on the caregiver as an individual by helping them maintain their well-being and offering support services.
- Stroke Recovery Association of Calgary – Caregiver’s Corner: An association that addresses the specific needs of stroke survivors and caregivers in dealing with their new lifestyle.
- Covenant House – Resources for Caregivers: An inventory of resources, services and support organizations that support caregivers in Alberta.
- Employment and Social Development Canada - Information for Caregivers Find federal, provincial and some municipal information about the services, benefits, programs and initiatives relevant to caregivers in Saskatchewan.
- Caregiver Information and Support: This centre offers seminars and support, as well as resources and services to help support caregivers. Caregiver counselling: 306-655-3400
- Acquired Brain Injury Partnership: The Saskatchewan Brain Injury Association (SBIA) runs many support groups and recreation programs throughout the province.
- Stroke Recovery Association of Manitoba: Direct support for people with stroke and their families.
- Resources for Caregivers - Province of Manitoba: Provincial listing of caregiver organizations and resources such as: information, support groups, and advocacy services.
- Age Friendly Manitoba: A Guide for the Caregiver: A comprehensive guide for caregivers. Includes a listing of caregiver organizations and resources.
- VON’s Volunteer Caregiver education program and respite services: VON offers a caregiver support and education program in various cities across Ontario and Nova Scotia.
- West GTA Stroke Network- Community Resources: Downloadable community resource book with a listing of stroke resources available for residents of the West GTA.
- Family Service Toronto - Seniors and Caregiver’s Support Service (SCSS) The SCSS Unit at Family Service Toronto provides social work services to older people and caregivers.
- The Healthline: Enter your community name or a postal code to find health and community services in Ontario.
- Community Care Access Centres: Ontario's 14 Community Care Access Centres (CCACs), located across the province, assist people in getting the home and community care they need in their region.
- Ontario Ministry of Labour - Family Caregiver Leave: Family caregiver leave is unpaid, job-protected leave of up to eight weeks per calendar year per specified family member.
- The Caregiver Exchange: Services that support caregivers are available across Ontario.
- Ontario Caregiver Organization: This independent non-profit is funded by the Ministry of Health and operates the Ontario Caregiver Helpline 1-833-416-2273 CARE).
- Regroupement des aidantes et aidants naturels de Montréal: This organization provides general information and training for caregivers, gives information about their rights, and supports them.
- L'Appui pour les proches-aidants d’aînés: This organization supports caregivers by implementing and funding: information, training, psychosocial support and respite services offered by community organizations.
- Centre d'action bénévole: This organization provides services for caregivers.
- The Heart and Stroke Living with StrokeTM program: This program is a community-based support and educational program designed for stroke survivors and their caregivers. Phone: 1-888-473-4636
- Refundable Tax Credit for Caregivers: You can claim a refundable tax credit for caregivers if you are in one of the following situations: you are the caregiver of your elderly spouse who is unable to live alone; you provide housing for an eligible relative; you live with an eligible relative who is unable to live alone.
- New Brunswick Social Development - Caregiver’s Guide: This guide offers practical information to individuals who are or anticipate becoming caregivers.
- Caregivers Nova Scotia: Find programs, services, and strong advocacy for caregivers.
- VON Volunteer Caregiver Support and Education Program: VON provides information, education and emotional support to family caregivers across Ontario and Nova Scotia.
- Tricounty Women’s Centre- Directory of self-help groups: A listing of self-help groups and resources in Nova Scotia including resources for caregivers.
Prince Edward Island
- Health PEI – Caregiver Handbook: This handbook is written to provide some ideas about caring for a stroke survivor and offer resources for caregivers.
- PEI Organized Stroke Care Program: The services provided for stroke survivors by the province in PEI, Including PEI organized stroke care. Phone: (902) 368-6527
- Government of PEI - Caregivers’ Information: The government of PEI provides a comprehensive overview of provincial services and support available to caregivers.
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Newfoundland & Labrador Health and Community Services: Community support programs offered through the regional health authorities.
- Newfoundland & Labrador Seniors, Wellness and Social Development: Information on a variety of programs and services available to seniors and other individuals throughout the province.
- Seniors NL Resource Centre: SRC NL provides information for caregivers as well as a caregiver’s guide.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Paid Family Caregiving Program: The organization enhances long term care and community support services by offering persons in need of care the option to hire and pay a family member to provide the essential service.
- AlwaysHome Homecare – Newfoundland Ladies: Commonly referred to as the Newfoundland Ladies, Always Home’s live-in home care provides around the clock care to those who need it most.
- Caregivers Out of Isolation: Offers information and support for people of all ages who are providing unpaid care and support to a family member or friend. Toll free: 1-888-571-2273
- Yukon Health and Social Services - Continuing Care: Health and Social Services offers various resources including respite care, palliative care, home care, and other resources for caregivers.
If you know of a resource that should be included or you identify an error please contact us.
Inclusion of a website or organization in the listing does not constitute an endorsement by the Heart and Stroke Foundation. The opinions and views expressed on a website or external source material are independent from those of the Heart and Stroke Foundation. You are responsible for obtaining appropriate medical advice from a physician or other qualified healthcare professional prior to acting upon any information available through this listing.