Improving treatment is one way to save lives. Raising awareness about healthy choices is another.
We also need to change public policy to create healthier environments and we can’t do it without the support and actions of the millions of Canadians who are the public.
Here’s a sampling of victories we’ve achieved together by influencing public policy through advocacy:
- Eliminated dangerous trans fats from our food supply
- Made public spaces in Canada smoke-free
- Reduced tobacco’s appeal with standardized plain packaging and more impactful warnings
- Protected vulnerable youth by removing many flavoured tobacco products from the market
- Worked with the federal government to place automated external defibrillators (AEDs) in recreation facilities across Canada — greatly increasing survival rates from cardiac arrest
Advocacy is a key to the Heart & Stroke vision of healthy lives free of heart disease and stroke. Together we will make it happen.
Advocating through research
Your generous donations help fund the research that is critical to preventing heart disease and stroke. Heart & Stroke Position Statements encapsulate the latest scientific evidence relating to heart disease, stroke and healthy living. They are a key advocacy tool, and authoritative sources of research that we can put in front of policy makers.