It’s all about balance
Healthy food choices are important for your childrens overall health. Like most parents, you are trying to juggle many things at once. Convincing your children to eat healthy food every day is only one of them.
Healthy eating is about balance. It’s making smart decisions to help your family eat healthy most of the time. Here are some ideas to help you make healthy choices with your children.
- Plan your meals. Set aside time each week to organise your daily meals. It will help you save time and meet your family’s nutritional needs.
- Involve your children in preparing meals and snacks. Encourage your teenagers to make one meal a week. Younger children can help in the kitchen.
- Respect your child’s changing appetite. Offer a variety of nutritious foods at meals so that there is always something healthy to eat. It can take up to 10 tries before a child will accept a new food.
- Prepare simple meals. Children like them best. A chicken sandwich with vegetables and dip and fresh fruit can be a healthy meal.
- Teach your children how to read food labels. Soon they will be choosing healthier options.
- Be a good role model. Practice healthy eating habits at home and at restaurants.
We understand that eating healthy isn’t always easy for kids. That’s why we have gathered a handful of our favourite Heart & Stroke approved recipes to help you inspire your kids.
Schools and nutrition
The Froogie smartphone app helps families track their fruit and vegetable intake. Animated characters (Froogies) help kids understand the importance of eating enough fruits and vegetables every day. Tracking daily servings for a week unlocks a new Froogie character for up to nine weeks. Tips and reminders appear daily. Based on research conducted through Dalhousie University and funded by Heart & Stroke and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.