Position: Coordinator, Health Promotion
Reports to: Manager, Health Promotion and Government Relations
Location: Prince Edward Island
Status: Permanent, Full-time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
As our HP Coordinator you will bring your passion and skills to help build and implement our mission plans to improve the lives of Islanders. You will work with amazing volunteers and you will have the opportunity to work with our partners (our indigenous community leaders, government, cardiac and stroke survivors, support providers, etc.).
You will also provide administrative support to the team and be part of a ‘all hands on deck’ work culture.
- Assist the Manager, Health Promotion & Government Relations in ensuring that mission priorities and advocacy in PEI are undertaken in accordance with mission’s strategic directions and impact goals.
- Collect and record metrics to support decision making regarding mission initiatives.
- Provide strategic recommendations to the Manager, Health Promotion & Government Relations regarding evolving needs and trends.
- Build awareness of Heart & Stroke online tools and health resources among stakeholders and people with lived experience.
- Work to match client needs with appropriate Heart & Stroke resources.
- Work to broaden the impact of mission in areas of health equity, healthy eating, physical activity, survivor and caregiver support, and risk factor awareness and management for Islanders.
- Act as provincial lead to build and strengthen relationships with Indigenous communities in PEI, while facilitating discussion on how Heart & Stroke can assist communities with achieving improved health indicators.
Networking, Partnerships, and Advocacy
- Work in partnership with key stakeholders to plan and execute annual professional development opportunities for healthcare professionals.
- Partner with municipal and provincial government staff, health institution, provincial coalitions, schools, not-for-profit organizations, and Indigenous communities and organizations in order to identify new opportunities to address system change and to achieve impact goals.
- Contribute and participate on Heart & Stroke provincial and national working groups, and initiatives
- Participate, and where appropriate lead advocacy priorities, in PEI, forward and collaborate with partners to achieve impact goals.
- Recruit and steward volunteers
- Provide Health Promotion volunteers with up to date health presentations that volunteers then deliver to community groups; build a solid community awareness and recognition of Heart & Stroke.
- Undergraduate Degree in a health-related field (Health promotion, health sciences)
Experience and Skills
- 2 years of health promotion-related experience.
- Experience providing administrative support, data management.
- Informed and up-to-date on health promotion best practices and research, including but not limited to: community engagement, community development, capacity building, risk factor management and chronic disease prevention.
- Experience in developing and supporting collaborative relationships and partnerships.
- Experience in volunteer engagement and/or event management preferred.
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required since travel and some evening and weekend work is required.
- Proficient writing skills and experience with writing grant applications and reports considered an asset. Cultural sensitivity training considered an asset.
- Ability to structure, engage and present information clearly to various audiences Strong computer skills with experience in MS Windows, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, databases and web-based applications.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by November 14, 2018.
Please include the exact job title in the subject line of your email. Please include your salary expectations in your cover letter.
We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.