Position: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Department: Canadian Leadership Team
Location: Role can be based in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or Newfoundland
Status: Full Time Permanent
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador (NS/PEI/NL) is charged with leadership of a dedicated team of employees and volunteers for the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador. Working collaboratively in a matrixed environment, the CEO contributes to the Heart and Stroke strategy by bringing strategic insights to the planning process and is then able to move the strategy forward by aligning and leading the implementation of provincial plans to support the strategic direction. The CEO serves as a spokesperson and ambassador for the organization and is a fund development champion in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador and for the Foundation as a whole.
Reports directly to: Chief Operating Officer
Mission (Government Relations and Health Promotion)
Executive Assistant/Office Management
Indirect Reports: Regional Director, Community Engagement
The CEO, NS/PEI/NL reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and is a member of the Canadian Leadership Team. The CEO, NS/PEI/NL:
- Is accountable for the successful implementation of the national, provincial and community goals and objectives of the strategic plan in the provinces.
- Leads the development of the annual plan, ensuring alignment with the Foundation priorities and budget.
- Is responsible for the achievement of the provincial fund raising objectives.
- Serves as chief spokesperson and ambassador for the Foundation in the provinces.
- Is accountable for board engagement to advance the mission of the Foundation and champion fundraising activities.
- Develops strong relationships with volunteers and provincial stakeholders.
- Oversees the implementation of national programs in the provinces, providing expertise and guidance on the provincial environments and context.
- Leads, coaches, engages and develops a high performing team.
- Works collaboratively with communities, volunteers, and other stakeholders including the research community, universities, provincial and local governments, and other foundations and organizations to fund raise and achieve the strategic plan.
- Provide exceptional leadership for employees and volunteers and rally the team around a shared vision for the organization.
- Align provincial plans with the overall strategic direction.
- Build, develop and lead a strong team by creating a culture of excellence and innovation, and implement effective human resource practices.
- Provide and encourage open, effective and positive communication among employees.
- Engage and build a strong Senior Leadership team
- Establish succession plans for key positions within the organization.
Fundraising and Donor Relations
- Work with the national development and community engagement leads and the development and community engagement teams to define targeted and efficient fundraising plans and ensure that plans are implemented and assessed on a regular basis to achieve fund raising objectives.
- Pro-actively engage with current and prospective donors for major gifts, bequests and annual giving initiatives.
- Act as Champion for the development of best practices, programs and new initiatives that contribute to increasing funds available for the execution of the H&S mission.
- Develop and implement innovative and visionary fundraising ideas.
- Ensure annual revenue plan is achieved.
- Engage and draw from Board members strategic insights which help to advance the mission of Heart & Stroke in NS, PEI and NL including in the areas of: Research, Advocacy, and Health Promotion.
- Engage Board members to support fundraising activities focusing on corporate philanthropy and sponsorships, and individual giving.
- Build and sustain effective working relationships with individual Board members.
- Keep board members apprised on a timely basis about key issues, business opportunities, significant operational activities, and financial matters.
- Seek advice from board members and successfully leverage their expertise, skills and contributions.
- Lead the development and achievement of an annual plan.
- Serve as ambassador and chief spokesperson for the Foundation in the provinces on all matters related to achieving the strategic plan.
- Work with the media to promote the Foundation’s brand and strengthen awareness of its mission, vision and goals.
- Develop positive, collaborative working relationships with relevant stakeholders including the research community, universities, provincial governments, regional health authorities, business community and other foundations and organizations.
- Lead the development of a strong network of volunteers to advance the Foundation’s mission
- Act as a role model and foster implementation of the values of the Foundation.
Mission and Programs
- Oversee the application of National programs in the provinces and provide expertise and guidance to reflect the specific needs of the provinces.
- Ensure that investment and spend are optimized to achieve mission objectives.
- Build partnerships with third party organizations to maximize the mission contribution from every dollar raised and spent in the province.
- Oversee and actively participate in advocacy efforts with local and provincial governments to advance the mission.
Strategic Plan Implementation
- Provide input into the overall Heart & Stroke Strategy.
- Align plans with the strategy and lead the implementation of plans in the region in support of the strategic direction.
- Provide updates regarding the attainment of objectives and strategies, as well as issues or challenges.
- As part of the Foundation’s senior team, lead and support transformative change.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and efficiencies.
- Work pro-actively and collaboratively across the Foundation on problem solving strategies and solutions to increase revenue and mission impact.
- Build on our network of partners and strategic alliances to increase reach and impact.
- Brings a strategic mindset to all aspects of the Foundation’s work. A Strategic thinker, able to contribute to the overall strategy, provide strategic insights and move the strategic agenda forward
- Strong experience in major gift fundraising with the ability to develop strong networks to support and grow fundraising
- Deep experience in fund raising for charitable organizations
- Strong capacity to build genuine relationships in a complex environment to move the strategic agenda forward
- Demonstrated ability to develop a strong network within the province
- Strong leadership skills and senior management experience
- Ability to negotiate new partnerships and expand existing alliances
- Ability to lead an innovative fund development plan within the non-profit sector
- Stakeholder and media relations experience
- Strong written and oral communications
- Demonstrated team leadership and strong coaching skills
- Experience working with a volunteer Board of Directors
- Strategic and business planning capability
- Able to work collaboratively on cross Canada teams with employees and volunteers at different levels.
- Has Heart and Stroke mission at heart
- Thoughtful, reflective and engaging leadership style.
- Adept at working with indirect influence
- Change agent - comfortable with change
- Politically astute
- Visionary, mentor and motivator
- Demonstrated Initiative and innovation
- Collaborative and inclusive
- High ethics and integrity
- Able to juggle multiple deadlines and priorities
- Energetic and dynamic
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.