Position: Strategic Writer
Reports to: Director, Development Opportunities and Stewardship
Department: Development, Team Central
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Permanent; Full-time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
The Strategic Writer will work to achieve the highest priority needs of the Heart & Stroke.
The incumbent will create, develop and enhance an integrated mix of donor/partner-centered communication tools to support sponsorship, philanthropic and volunteer activities. This will include the creation and development of highly customized corporate partnership pitch decks, donor gift proposals, grant applications, meaningful acknowledgement, and recognition and stewardship correspondence.
As a part of an integrated fundraising strategy, the incumbent will also work to produce materials and correspondence to corporate and individual charitable foundations for private grants, as well as expendable, designated and restricted gifts to support the mission of the Heart & Stroke.
Corporate Sponsorship and Individual Major Gift Proposal Development
- Strategically and compellingly align the organization’s needs to the partner/donor in support of sponsorship and philanthropic solicitation efforts
- Act as lead writer for all national corporate partnership/major gift decks/proposals, including funding proposals for individuals, corporations, foundations and other organizations
- Effectively and successfully integrate Heart & Stroke’s mission priorities and successes, research profiles, goals and objectives, programs and services and the role of sponsorship/philanthropy in achieving organizational goals
- Ensure all writing assignments are completed on time
- Execute communication that grabs attention, builds conviction and desire, stirs interest and calls audience to action throughout all stages of the corporate/major gift fundraising process
Acknowledgement (Current & Deferred Gifts)
- Deliver prompt, personal and meaningful gift acknowledgement correspondence
- Create compelling Stewardship and Impact Reports that clearly and effectively articulate the impact that the corporation/individuals contribution has made
Communication (Current & Deferred Gifts)
- Communicate compellingly to partners/donors and other audiences about how their support of the Heart & Stroke accomplishes measurable results by advancing heart disease and stroke research, treatment and prevention
- Execute, coordinate and advise on a diverse array of print and electronic communications that support all stages of the donor-cycle
- Undergraduate degree
Experience and Skills
- Experienced persuasive writer with five or more years of professional success as a writer and one or more years’ experience in business to business and/or sponsorship context
- Experience writing gift proposals or grant applications at the $100,000 level and above
- Superior speech-writing skills
- Superior expertise in standard writing and editing skills including English grammar, punctuation and syntax
- Superior interpersonal relationship-building skills
- Excellent technical/analytical skills and attention to detail
- Solid grasp of business communication, with the ability to write letters of inquiry, reports, white papers and business plans
- Good understanding of the major gifts fundraising process
- Experience in project management, with a demonstrated ability to manage for results and set and establish new standards of success
- Proven ability to work in a multi-layered, complex, results-orientated institution with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Superior ability to produce high-quality work under tight, constantly changing deadlines, combined with a comfort managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines
- Collaborative, strategic, and results-orientated
- Understanding of various gift vehicles and their charitable tax implications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with solid experience in developing creative and compelling PowerPoint Presentations
- Committed to the highest standards of professionalism and donor relations
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca