Position: Senior Specialist, Volunteer Management, Activate
Reports to: Senior Manager, Strategic Initiatives
Department: Social Enterprise
Location: Toronto, ON
Status: Full time; Contract (6 months; possibility of extension)
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
Join an energetic and passionate team, and be part of an exciting growth area of the Heart & Stroke Foundation! We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about program development, experience design, and making a big impact on people’s lives. The successful candidate will be leading a key pillar of the program, focused on managing and recruiting a large group of volunteers and engaging with participants!
Recently, Heart & Stroke collaborated with the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing (MCII) to launch “Activate”, a free innovative program aimed at improving the health of Canadians by preventing the onset of hypertension (high blood pressure). The program is funded through Canada’s first health-related pay-for-success model (PFS), also known as a social impact bond. PFS programs are innovative public-private financial partnerships that represent a powerful new way to raise funds from the private sector for public good.
We are looking for expertise in all aspects of people management and a passion for volunteer engagement. The candidate should be a recruiting specialist with a demonstrated track record of finding, attracting, and retaining talent. The ideal candidate is also a problem solver who is energized by difficult tasks and willing to roll up their sleeves and knock down walls to meet program targets.
Volunteer Management and Training:
- Develop and implement policies and procedures related to volunteer management.
- Lead the delivery of a positive volunteer experience with timely and thorough execution of the volunteer on-boarding process, being highly responsive to volunteers.
- Manage the scheduling of volunteers to attend an in-person training workshop, through the volunteer management software.
- Deliver components of the volunteer training and on-going coaching with a high degree of proficiency, both in the classroom and on-site.
- Continuously assess and be highly responsive to the skill and knowledge development needs of volunteers to ensure they feel equipped for success and are able to support the program’s success.
- Build strong relationships with individual volunteers and provide ongoing two-way performance feedback and coaching to ensure volunteers have a fulfilling experience and deliver exceptional service to participants.
- Conduct regular site visits and be available as an escalation point to help volunteers on a day-to-day basis (e.g., scheduling, issues management)
- Lead the implementation of plans and logistics for event maximization on recruitment days at our partner sites.
- Manage daily dashboard-sharing metrics to ensure program enrollment and volunteer engagement in pharmacies are on track
- Lead volunteer recruitment tactics through a variety of channels to attract potential volunteers
- Plan and execute the volunteer recruiting process, including activities such as information sessions, screening, interview execution and coordination, reference checking, and volunteer selection to ensure achievement of the program’s volunteer recruitment targets
- Provide weekly recruitment status reports accompanied by analysis and interpretation of results to monitor the program against defined targets
- Proactively bring continuous improvement and/or breakthrough ideas to the volunteer recruiting plan, suggest changes and identify new opportunities based on recruiting results and progress to date
- Actively contribute to the on-going development and implementation of a volunteer recognition plan to ensure a rewarding volunteer experience and greater retention
- Praise volunteers with messages, acknowledgement and execute volunteer recognition events
- Continuously improve processes, volunteer and participant experience, based on both qualitative and quantitative KPIs
- Proactively identify risks and interdependencies associated with tasks and responsibilities.
- Ensure all accountabilities are delivered on time within scope.
- Coordinate and build relationships with the program’s internal, community, pharmacy, programmatic partners as required.
***Candidates MUST have a valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle and comfortable driving downtown Toronto and GTA.***
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in a relevant field e.g., business administration, human resources, public health, volunteer management, project management
- Certificate in Volunteer Management is an asset or from a professional organization such as Professional Administrators of Volunteer Resources-Ontario (PAVR-O), Volunteer Management Professionals of Canada (formerly Canadian Administrators of Volunteer Resources (CAVR)), or local Association for Volunteer Administration (AVA) is an asset
Experience and Skills
- 5+ years demonstrating experience in people management, with strengths in recruitment, screening, and project management.
- Experience working with schedule management software is an asset
- Strong sense of community based work and the challenges and opportunities that exist at the grassroots level
- Enjoys problem solving and iterating in order to find the best solution for each situation taking into account current context
- Can-do attitude, ability to work at a fast pace and adapt well to change
- Highly organized as well as able and agile with multi-tasking, meeting deadlines, anticipating and addressing potential conflicts
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, enthusiastic and high energy
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail and well organized
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca Please confirm in your cover letter that you meet the requirements regarding a driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.