Position: Senior Project Specialist, Advocacy
Reports to: Senior Manager, Public Affairs
Department: ON Mission – Research, Advocacy & Health Promotion
Location: Toronto Office
Status: Full Time; Permanent
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a self-directed, problem solving candidate to support the implementation and activation of advocacy campaigns working cross functionally. In this role, the incumbent will develop advocacy work plans and use project management methodology to plan, implement, evaluate and report on project deliverables and achieve positive and timely outcomes. As projects and advocacy campaigns involve multiple teams and external partners, the incumbent will also be responsible for coordinating involvement, ensuring relevant team members and internal stakeholders are up-to-date and for providing general support for advocacy campaigns and projects as required.
Advocacy Project Management
- Work collaboratively with the Public Affairs and Health Policy Teams to implement advocacy campaigns – developing work plans, allocating resources and ensuring projects are kept on time, budget and on target
- Ensure all partners are kept current on important developments related to the campaign and that they are included in decision making processes where appropriate
- Liaise with national and provincial peers to implement advocacy campaigns across Canada
- Serve as the focal point for all aspects of the development and implementation of a large scale advocacy campaign for various cross functional teams across the Foundation
- Campaign and Project Deployment and Development
- Act as a general team resource for advocacy campaigns filling needs as they arise
- Provide creative solutions and ideas to problems that arise in the delivery of an advocacy campaign
- Work with lateral relationships to ensure Health Promotion Specialists, volunteers and other Foundation staff understand and are delivering on advocacy objectives
- Participate in the development of new advocacy projects providing insight and ideas that contribute to successful campaigns
- Make phone calls, draft correspondence, attend events and perform duties as needed to deploy campaigns
- Represent the Foundation to external stakeholders
- Responsible for managing project deliverables, outputs and budgets
Public Affairs (PA) Support
- Act as a strategic resource for PA, assisting in special projects and initiatives that require additional support
- Assist PA in the implementation of advocacy initiatives through liaising with internal and external stakeholders as required
- Support PA in identifying advocacy opportunities that align with mission priorities
- Support PA in the tactical execution of advocacy campaigns
- University degree, or equivalent
Experience and Skills
- 5-7 years of program/project management experience
- Knowledge and experience in government relations
- Strong knowledge/experience in advocacy
- Proficient in Word (word processing skills), Excel and Contact Management database programs
- Strategic thinker with the ability to keep the target in sight
- Excellent project management skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse staff, volunteers and external partners
- Customer service and communications skills to be applied toward internal customers such as Field staff, volunteers and external stakeholders
- Solid negotiation and problem solving skills
- Contributes to a strong teamwork environment through demonstration of mutual respect, problem solving, conflict resolution and goal orientation
- Capacity to build support through influence without direct authority
- Knowledge or experience working with volunteers
- Proven ability to manage heavy workload with little structure
- Good networking skills
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.