Position: Senior Manager, Communications
Reports to: Director, Communications
Department: Marketing and Communications
Location: Toronto Office
Status: Full time; Permanent
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
As part of a national team, we are looking for a passionate, confident, solution-oriented communications leader to support an assigned national portfolio of foundation work. This professional is expected to understand the annual business goals and strategic plans of each of their internal clients, in order to help anticipate, plan for and implement communication solutions that maximize value to the Foundation. This position is the first point of contact for client requirements related to Communications and is expected to bring forward broad-based solutions. This role will be responsible for supporting all levels of management on a day-to-day basis.
Communications strategy development, planning and execution
• Lead development and implementation of multi-dimensional communications plans on a variety of mission, fundraising and corporate communications portfolios (approximately 3-5) to build awareness of the Foundation, strengthen its image and advance mission and fund development work.
• Understand the intersection of communications and marketing, and integrate with marketing strategy, creative services, digital and social media as appropriate
• Liaise with and support provincial execution team to ensure needs are met and expectations clear
• Protect the Foundation’s position as the credible and authoritative voice on cardiovascular disease
• Strengthen the Foundation’s reputation as a leading health charity, with a focus on increasing understanding of the Foundation’s mission, goals, strategies and achievements / outcomes
• Support collective and provincial communications colleagues and other foundation teams as appropriate based on skills/expertise and capacity
Counsel and leadership
• Provide senior level counsel to foundation teams on communications and reputation management
• Coach, mentor, and develop colleagues and volunteers
• Integrate volunteers when appropriate to achieve volunteer engagement and operational efficiency
• Facilitate meetings with relevant stakeholders to ensure that they are fully informed and appropriately involved
• Build, manage, and sustain internal relationships
• Create a productive and supportive team environment with colleagues; provide leadership and guidance
• Behave according to the foundation’s values and hold others accountable to do likewise
Budgeting and administration
• Report progress regularly to the Director; provide final reports against all portfolio plans with analysis and recommendations
• Contribute to the development, implementation and monitoring of systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the communications department
• Create realistic budgets to support communications plans, and track spending
• Post-secondary degree, preferably in communications, public relations or in a related field, such as journalism
• Courses in social media, marketing, advertising, graphic design, digital marketing, content marketing an asset
Experience and Skills
• Minimum of 10 years of progressively senior experience in communications and/or public relations positions
• Proven ability to create and implement strategic communications plans that deliver measurable results
• Proven ability to work alongside marketing and digital to develop integrated plans that focus on the strengths of each discipline
• Solid understanding of branding and brand management
• Exceptional communications skills: listening, oral, written, presentation
• Experience successfully managing issues/crises
• Solid understanding of how the media works – traditional, online and social/influencers – and proven ability to create plans and resources that successfully engage these stakeholders
• Skilled in a variety of writing forms – i.e. reports, key messages, news releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, tips for consumers, speeches and PowerPoint presentations
• Proven ability to organize events and manage logistics as required
• Proven ability to influence without authority
• Creative and resourceful; able to produce high-quality products with limited resources
• Superb “people” and relationship-building skills
• Leadership competencies: integrity/credibility; foresight/vision; ability to generate enthusiasm and motivate others around a shared vision
• Significant experience communicating in multi-stakeholder environments
• Experience in management of employees and external agencies and vendors
• Ability to communicate in English and French an asset
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.