Position: Data Analyst – Data and Knowledge Management
Department: Mission - National
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Full-Time; Contract
Heart & Stroke is a special type of organization. We’re a foundation, a place that values championing health and has a bias for action as we tackle heart disease, stroke and vascular cognitive impairment. Our mission is to promote health, save lives and enhance recovery.
Who we need
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Data and Knowledge Management and Heart Program, we need a Data Analyst – Data and Knowledge Management. Based in Toronto, this is a contract opportunity for someone who wants to make a difference to the health of Canadians. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to contribute to the execution of the Foundation’s data strategy and provide advice on how to store, analyze, interpret and visualize the results of our data analysis to advance our mission goals.
Who you are
You are passionate about helping others and you want to play a role in advancing change within our health systems through participating the development of new projects and providing solutions for storing and managing data sets. You are detail oriented, diplomatic, and have a deep appreciation and understanding of the importance of data cleaning, validation, and analysis.
How you will make an impact every day. You will focus on:
• Data cleaning, validation, and analysis
o Programming in SAS or R for data analysis runs, including some modelling and forecasting.
o Performs analysis of Canadian Institute of Health Information (CIHI) datasets, survey data, data from polling companies, and other population or heart and stroke-related data.
o Documents and validates raw data, analyzed data and program(s) used for data analysis.
o Generates summary reports, graphs and flat excel files based on project needs to support evidence-guided decisions and knowledge products.
o Creates interactive visualizations in Power BI where appropriate.
o Creates and develops proper documentation for data storage, analysis, methodologies and analysis outcomes.
o Understanding and executing data analysis plans
o You work independently to accomplish tasks and goals defined primarily by Senior Manager, Data and Knowledge Management, with additional guidance from Director, Data and Knowledge Management as appropriate.
• Controlling and monitoring of data and knowledge quality
o Ensuring consistent data quality, and executing appropriate corrective actions if errors are identified.
o Ensuring accuracy and appropriate use of statistical methodologies, coordinating data analysis project and generating activities and metrics for review.
o Following data quality standards, policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
o Supporting the Mission Department’s data quality assurance efforts to identify and correct errors, and to articulate limitations in the data.
• Capacity Building within the Foundation
o Maintaining awareness of CIHI and broader health sector data issues and standards.
o Communicating within the Foundation the importance of maintaining data quality and standards (as appropriate) and supporting their application internally.
o Working collaboratively with internal and external partners to ensure wherever possible, data are used, interpreted and presented accurately.
What you bring
• The education. You have a degree in statistics, biostatistics and/or similar. Master’s an asset.
• The experience. You have 3-5 years’ experience in statistical analysis in a health setting, such as public health and health planning organization.
• The technical skills. You have strong computer skills and ability to use technological tools to organize and advance the work of the team, such as MS Office Suite, SharePoint, BigQuery, JIRA, and other workflow tools. You also have some proficiency with SAS and/or R.
• The analytical skills. You have solid attention to detail and the ability to apply good judgement and demonstrate initiative to resolve and communicate issues. You also have strong skills in evaluating quantitative health data and utilizing analytic approaches for clustering, stratification and weighting of large data set, as well as mathematical modelling and forecasting.
• The communication skills. You have outstanding written and verbal communication skills needed to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment.
• The ownership. You are attentive to detail, diplomatic, and can think flexibly to find solutions for automating workflows and storing and manipulating data
• The adaptability. You are comfortable working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. You can effectively manage a demanding schedule and prioritize responsibilities
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.