Reports to: Senior Manager, Creative Team Lead
Department: Marketing and Communications
Status: Full-Time, Permanent
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a digital-first Copywriter with experience beyond web copy. If conceptualizing and writing digital ads, email campaigns, digital video/animation, and content that drives action are in your portfolio, then we’d like to meet you! As part of the Creative Services team, the Copywriter helps develop brand-aligned content for program teams, national projects and assist with national campaigns — some of which includes print collateral too. Ideally, your experience will run the gamut from ideation to final draft, and everything in between. You also know how to engage different audience groups at all phases of a user journey and your healthy respect for testing and analytics makes your copy that much more engaging. Most importantly, you know how to move people. CTAs are in your DNA.
Brand message and content development:
• Produces key messages and story-telling content for brand marketing projects, including web, email, video, and print as determined
• All work ensures a high focus on integration of brand positioning, promise and voice/tone expression to optimal levels
• Consistently aligns content with strategic plan and goals
• Consistently considers most effective ways of ensuring content and messages support story of Heart & Stroke’s impact and need to support fundraising calls-to-action (CTAs)
• Develop mission impact stories to support brand campaign integration into broader marketing communications materials — national, provincial, regional — to expectations of creative briefs and time requirements of all projects
• Supports Manager, Design Services in launching multi-stakeholder application of new brand identity with: branded templates, updates to guidelines (as needed) and resources to deliver consistent brand reflection through various channels
• Develops a keen understanding of brand verbal guidelines and supports Senior Manager, Creative Team Lead in ensuring brand consistency across all content streams
• Work with Manager, Design Services (or assigned designer) and Account Services team to develop, create and present creative concepts to internal clients, and make recommendations for next and future projects
• Be responsible for writing and reviewing marketing/editorial copy and content submitted via review and approval process; providing appropriate edits to ensure brand campaign key message integration, accuracy, brand style and voice are optimally reflected.
• Follow creative brief copy direction for fund development events and program collateral materials, while being conscious of ensuring highest quality brand voice and message.
• Keep informed and current on existing and new research and mission initiatives to ensure our cache of mission references remains fresh and compelling for a variety of channels and audiences
• Works collaboratively with the team on concept development and creative solutions to ensure maximum impact
• Builds and maintains collaborative and effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders in delivery of project requirement
• Writes/edits content for all assigned projects/programs as specified; manages time according to approved/current work back; meets all commitments to deliverables and deadlines
• Works with Account Services team to ensure copy corrections are made as per client and Knowledge Exchange reviews and approvals
• Works with Digital Team to ensure message integration across all channels
• Works with and assists Digital Team and content providers with SEO website copy
Asset innovation & management:
• Brand Campaign Briefing & Integration Toolkits – build and leverage as key supports for content development for broad application and use
• Conduct regular evaluation of relevance and effectiveness of these key writing/communication tools with key program leads and stakeholders
• Post-secondary education in copywriting, journalism or communications
Experience and Skills
• 3-5 years of proven digital writing experience (web copy, digital ads, digital video/animation, marketing content) as a primary focus, with some print experience
• Experience in marketing, fundraising, and advertising copy development
• Experience with In Copy and/or InDesign preferred but not mandatory
• Content expertise and experience working with medical reference materials is an asset but not necessary
• Thorough understanding of marketing and communication functions and needs
• Well-developed research and interviewing skills
• Superior writing and copy-editing skills
• Bilingualism in French and English an asset, but not mandatory
• Customer-focused with a thorough understanding of the expectations of internal and external customers
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently as well as respectfully and professionally with a co-dependent team
• Strong computer skills and excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to be flexible around juggling priorities
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Excellent listening and critical thinking skills
• Highest level of detail and accuracy
• Thrives in a fast-paced, team-focused environment
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations, along with a link to an online portfolio (or an attached PDF) to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.