Position: Coordinator, Community Fundraising
Reports to: Manager, Community Fundraising
Department: Community Engagement
Status: Contract, Full Time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM
Heart & Stroke is a special type of company. We’re a foundation, a place that values championing health and has a bias for action as we tackle heart disease and stroke. Our mission is to promote health, save lives and enhance recovery.
Who we need
Our bold, dynamic and passionate Community Engagement field teams are responsible for driving significant revenue growth through the community based fundraising programs while developing a strong volunteer network and community relationships. The team plays a significant role at the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSFC) in raising the funds that enable the Foundation to deliver its critical mission and reduce the impact of heart disease and stroke.
The role of the Coordinator, Community Fundraising is an 18-month contract assisting the Manager, Community Fundraising in the effective delivery of the Heart and Stroke’s community-based fundraising initiatives through the coordinated efforts of staff and volunteer resources.
In this role you will:
• Promote Heart & Stroke’s (H&S) mission, and invite others to become involved with our foundation in a way that is meaningful to them
• Develop, maintain, engage, recognize and grow volunteer partnerships and community supporter relationships
• Execute H&S fundraising programs with excellence and in alignment with our organizational values
• Coordinate and execute community based fundraising activities by stewarding and building relationships within the community.
Who you are
Whether you are working with another non-profit in fund development; or sales, a relationship manager at a corporation or a recent grad wanting to apply your event coordination and sales experience - you are someone driven by the need to work for a place with purpose. You want to grow your career in the non-profit sector working at the grassroots level with volunteers to meet and exceed fundraising targets. You can see the big picture and break it down into details to solve problems proactively and push your donation goals forward. You have the spirit and the hustle to drive donations through the coordination of dozens of events; customizing your approach throughout the region to ensure community engagement.
How you will make an impact every day
• Foster a community of engagement. You will ensure the continued growth and success of fundraising initiatives. You will:
o Actively participate in local networking and health-related events that enhance Heart & Stroke’s community presence.
o Create an exceptional experience and positive interactions with volunteers, participants, donors and partners.
o Train and work alongside an appropriate mix of volunteers to support fundraising and community engagement activities.
o Collaborate with the manager to strengthen the volunteer pipeline.
o Build, manage and sustain the internal business relationships necessary to support achievement of fundraising goals.
• Generate revenue through coordinated fundraising activities. You will meet approved annual fundraising goals by planning and executing Heart & Stroke Canvass and My Own Fundraiser programs.
• Nurture relationships. You will recognize, encourage and reach out to community members with the goal of acquiring new local participation and donations.
• Collaborate. You will work closely with the Manager, Community Fundraising and program team to manage a promotion and communications plan for each event. You will deliver a variety of presentations and kick-off events to workplaces, community groups and schools.
• Champion success. You will support and inspire event organizers, participants and volunteers to be successful in their desire to support Heart & Stroke. You will assist teams and individuals with online fundraising.
• Troubleshoot. You will anticipate program participant needs and proactively search for solutions to ensure participant expectations are met or exceeded.
• Track and report. You will monitor program statistics, analyze the results and work with your manager to plan and influence fundraising results and relationships. You will prepare weekly status summaries and reports for review with the Manager, Community Fundraising.
What you bring
• The education. You have a university degree with a combination of relevant experience.
• The experience. You have 1+ years in fundraising, sales and marketing, and/or account management. You know how to increase volunteer engagement and work with diverse stakeholders. Event planning and/or project management experience would be an asset.
• The relationship building expertise. You can gain the trust of community, business and school audiences, deepening existing and growing new relationships. You can inspire action, build momentum and encourage participation.
• The communication skills. You can effectively promote opportunities and partnerships through excellent public speaking, presentations and face-to-face networking. You have outstanding written and verbal skills.
• The ownership. You are proactive, goal-oriented and creatively resourceful.
• The adaptability. You are comfortable working independently as part of a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. You can manage a demanding schedule and prioritize responsibilities. You must be able to manage multiple projects both in person and remotely.
• The technical abilities. You are proficient with MS Office. Experience working with spreadsheets, a CRM database and online fundraising platforms would be an asset.
• The flexibility. You can lead, participate in and support evening and weekend community events. You understand late or extra hours are often needed.
• You have a valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle and the ability to travel throughout your geographic area.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.