Position: Business Intelligence Report Developer
Reports to: Sr. Manager, CRM Solutions
Department: Information Management
Location: Toronto, ON
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a focused, analytical, fast learning, BI Report Developer to join Heart and Stroke’s Information Management team.
The Business Intelligence (BI) Report Developer will be responsible for interpreting business reporting requirements and will focus on designing customer data outputs leveraging Business Intelligence tools and data warehouse solution across a variety of Heart and Stroke data solutions. The position will develop a range of data outputs from ad-hoc queries, data exports, through to building standard reports which provide flexible program reporting, and campaign analysis to guide insights and decision making.
The BI Report Developer will contribute to the strategic design and implementation of an Enterprise Business Intelligence solution. The role will maintain and enhance the data warehouse database structures to collect relevant data based on business needs. The position will normalize and centralize data from multiple sources and leverage the BI environment to streamline the processes for reporting and analysis. The role will collaborate within a multi-site team setting with a variety of stakeholders, including internal business partners and external vendors and suppliers.
Translation and Integration
- Translate high-level data requirements into solution architecture
- Gather detailed user data requirements, interpret and translate into technical specification
- Produce technical and functional documentation for appropriate audience
- Identify and analyze data sources and prospective data points for solution delivery
- Develop data services and frameworks to extract, load and transfer data into applications
- Automate procedures to streamline data integrations across the organization
Report Development and Management
- Design, develop and deploy new custom reports using MS Reporting Services or BI tools
- Evaluate current reports, modify and consolidate where appropriate
- Develop suitable outputs and formats such as extractions, reports, graphical, and pivots
- Perform quality control from unit testing, to end to end and user acceptance
- Ability to take raw data and provide summary analysis
- Assists in development of standards to ensure data quality
- Develop Reports Catalogue with end user perspective
- Provide accurate estimate delivery time for solution to business partner
Data Warehouse Modifications and Maintenance
- Support modification (cubes, dimensions, query objects) of BI data warehouse with external provider
- Troubleshoot and support BI data warehouse environment with refresh procedures
- Troubleshooting and performance optimization with external provider
- Assess and propose solutions to enhance the architecture of the selected BI solution
- Contribute to definition and implementation of BI strategy and roadmap
- Prepare and maintain appropriate documentation related to technical versioning and best practices knowledge
- Deliver solutions according to Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Conduct specific training as needed.
- Keep well-informed of trends and best practices in the BI industry to strengthen organizational and technical knowledge as it relates to enterprise information
- Bachelor degree or college diploma in computer science, information systems, business administration or related field
Work Experience and Skills
- A minimum of 5+ years of information management experience supporting large database environments from a data analyst and reporting/metrics perspective
- 3 – 5 years of MS SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), MS SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), MS SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
- 3 – 5 years of SQL Server query development and stored procedures
- 3 – 5 years of data warehousing and OLAP reporting
- 3 – 5 years of gathering and documenting reporting requirements and translating needs into useful specifications, reports and processes
- Expert knowledge and experience of MS SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Expert knowledge and experience of MS SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Strong knowledge and working experience of MS SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
- Strong Knowledge of SQL Server, query development and stored procedures
- Knowledge of data warehousing and OLAP reporting
- Proven ability to identify and document reporting requirements and translate needs into useful reports and processes
- Demonstrated analytical skills to review, synthesize information and produce analytical reports
- Knowledge of and experience with Software Development Life Cycle
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English
- Working knowledge of French is an asset
- Project management skills and proven success with cross functional projects
- Outstanding documentation skills
- An exceptional customer service attitude
- Results-driven and metrics focused with a passion for continuous improvement
- Ability to partner with multi-disciplinary teams and vendors
- Previous experience with Blackbaud applications (The Raisers Edge, CRM), Salesforce, and/or MS Dynamics Great Plains considered an asset
• Mainly office based.
• Evening and weekend work as required
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.