Position: Area Administrator, Peel Office
Reports to: Senior Area Manager
Department: Community Engagement
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Status: Full Time, Permanent
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
Are you an administrative professional who takes pride in delivering excellent customer service and wants to work with volunteers? We are looking for a customer orientated individual who provides administration and office support services for an area office, supports community engagement teams and events and is the first point of contact for Heart and Stroke Foundation donors, volunteers and stakeholders.
The Area Administrator (AA) is an integral part of the recruitment and development of the office volunteers specifically and in general the full area office volunteer team. The Area Administrator contributes to the effective delivery of the Heart and Stroke’s community based fundraising and health promotion initiatives.
- Maintaining consistent administrative and financial practices in accordance with Foundation guidelines
- Being knowledgeable and current with Foundation programs, resources, partners and local activities
- Supporting office volunteers and committee volunteers
The AA role supports and provides excellent customer service, is knowledgeable of Foundation’s policies, procedures, programs and resources and acts as a resource in this regard with donors/volunteers/public/vendors and all internal stakeholders.
- Acts as the front line resource person for general public and donors, ensuring reception coverage at all times for Big Bike, Person to Person, Jump Rope for Heart, 3rd Party Events and donations.
- Provides internal and external communication support (i.e. responding to telephone and walk in inquiries/donations, facilitating registration requests, liaising with provincial partners, responding to enquiries)
- Maintains a list of affiliated organizations and agencies and knowledgeable about the services they offer
- Represents HSF with volunteers, donors, customers and general public in a professional and courteous manner
- Receives, coordinates, tracks and prepares resources for health promotion presentations and displays ensuring that services and equipment are available to both internal and external customers through direct action of training.
- Facilitates the implementation of the In Honor program including sending cards, receipting and obituary tracking
Finance and Administration:
The AA is responsible for key functional elements, ensuring through direct action or training of volunteers to correct financial entry, reporting and data management. This position:
- Manages all financial activities related to community engagement (e.g. banking, daily cash log, cash management, income tax receipting, gifts in kind procedures, NSF Cheques) as per the Finance Department guidelines.
- Processes, tracks and monthly reconcile all operating and event expenses. Provides input into operating budget planning.
- Retains all pertinent financial records including tax receipts and banking information as per Finance Department guidelines
- Is responsible for ensuring accurate and timely data entry in Foundation databases as outlined by Data Standards
- Assists Area Manager in collecting data and preparing various monthly statistical and program evaluation reports.
- Processes all mail, parcels, orders and shipments
- Ensures office security procedures are maintained and followed.
- Maintains centralized filing system (manual and computer)
- Maintains an appropriate inventory of HSFC materials and office supplies
- Provides administrative support to ensure success in the implementation of all Community Engagement programs
- Implements the recruitment, orientation, training, direction, stewardship and recognition of volunteers
- Assesses volunteer skills and ensures volunteers are matched to appropriate tasks
- Provides necessary administrative support to volunteer Community Engagement committees
- Supervises volunteers, students/government placements in administrative capacities, ensures relationship is mutually beneficial and ensure required reporting is followed up on
The AA maintains efficient and effective office systems and services and:
- Ensures all staff and volunteers receive adequate training and are knowledgeable about office systems, procedures and equipment
- Ensures a clean and professional office environment is maintained
- Maintains a functional understanding of the office systems, equipment and computers supporting an accurate understanding of the Foundation’s business systems use
- Completes regular data back up
- The Area Administrator is responsible for the office and event volunteers (recruitment, orientation, training, development, stewardship, recognition, deployment)
- Relevant education with a proven track record of success as an administrator.
Experience and Skills
- 2-3 years customer service experience
- Bookkeeping or accounting experience (specifically knowledge of reconciling and budget monitoring)
- Previous fundraising and/or sales experience an asset
- Experience collecting and depositing money
- Strong data entry experience; data management
- Experience with recruitment, training and leading/supervising volunteers/students
- Experience in not-for-profit and/or health promotion an asset
- Volunteer development and management experience
- Strong office administration and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to multi task with frequent interruptions
- Proven ability to manage high volume of workload: thrives in a busy office environment.
- Ability to prioritize; sense of urgency
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Exhibits high degree of professionalism, confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
- Must be verbally bi-lingual; written French would be an asset
- Intermediate to Advanced PC skills with MS Office and Windows 7P; superior Excel skills
- Travel: Access to own vehicle and ability to travel, as necessary.
- During peak periods, evenings and weekend hours are required.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.