Position: Coordinator, Community Fundraising (Jump Rope for Heart)
Department: Community Engagement
Status: Full-Time; Permanent
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM
Heart & Stroke is a special type of company. We’re a foundation, a place that values championing health and has a bias for action as we tackle heart disease and stroke. Our mission is to promote health, save lives and enhance recovery.
Who we need
Heart and Stroke is adding bold, passionate, fearless, and compassionate people to our dedicated teams across the country. We need analytical, creative, decisive, approachable people who are embedded in the community they live in with their families, neighbours, and friends. People with unbounded energy, an understanding of how to nurture relationships and the commitment to help solve a massive problem.
We need people who want to make a difference and save lives every day by:
• Promoting the Heart & Stroke mission.
• Inviting others to become involved with our foundation in a way that is meaningful to them.
• Recognizing and growing volunteer partnerships and community support relationships.
Our Vancouver office needs a Coordinator, Community Fundraising to coordinate our unique Jump Rope for Heart school-based events stretching across a vast geographic area. This is a meaningful and challenging opportunity to work and cultivate relationships with schools; a chance to coordinate events that bring in over $235,000 in much-needed funding. It’s a chance to move along a career path in the nonprofit sector as you develop a network.
What’s in it for you? Heart.
Hear the stories. From the 8-year-old boy who recognized the signs of a stroke in his father shortly after a Jump Rope for Heart kick-off session at his school to the tearful thank you of a parent whose child has a future thanks to research we funded. You will know that your work has meaning. You will experience deep personal satisfaction as you lead your fundraising teams to success.
Every dollar counts. Every volunteer is vital. Every relationship is valued. You will feel the impact of your efforts as you grow and nurture corporate relationships and bring in the donations we need to continue to educate Canadians and fund research - including research that will close the gap in women’s heart and brain health.
Amazement. That feeling you get at the end of every day you are part of our team making a tangible impact on the well-being of your family, your friends, your community. You will be part of a foundation that worked to reduce trans fats in the food supply, place AEDs in communities across the country and control the marketing of tobacco.
Rewards. With an impressive benefits package including pension, a competitive salary and flexible hours, you will be well compensated for your efforts and commitment. As part of a fun, dedicated team with a supportive culture, you will build internal relationships, sharing ideas, learning and mentoring each other.
Timing. Now is the time to make a career move into a foundation to do meaningful work every day.
Who you are
Whether you are working with another non-profit in fund development; or sales, a relationship manager at a corporation or a recent grad wanting to apply your event coordination and sales experience - you are someone driven by the need to work for a place with purpose. You want to grow your career in the non-profit sector working at the grassroots level with volunteers to meet and exceed fundraising targets. You can see the big picture and break it down into details to solve problems proactively and push your donation goals forward. You have the spirit and the hustle to drive donations through the coordination of dozens of Jump Rope for Heart school-based events; customizing your approach throughout the region to ensure community engagement.
How you will make an impact every day
• Foster a community of engagement. You will ensure the continued growth and success of fundraising initiatives. You will:
o Actively participate in local networking and health-related events that enhance Heart & Stroke’s community presence.
o Create an exceptional experience and positive interactions with volunteers, participants, donors and partners.
o Train and work alongside an appropriate mix of volunteers to support fundraising and community engagement activities.
o Collaborate with the manager to strengthen the volunteer pipeline.
o Build, manage and sustain the internal business relationships necessary to support achievement of fundraising goals.
• Generate revenue through coordinated fundraising activities. You will meet approved annual fundraising goals by planning and executing the Jump Rope for Heart fundraising program.
• Nurture relationships. You will recognize, encourage and reach out to established supporters. You will proactively approach schools in the Costal Vancouver region with the goal of acquiring new participation and donations.
• Collaborate. You will work closely with the Manager, Community Fundraising and program team to manage a promotion and communications plan for each event. You will deliver a variety of presentations and kick-off events to workplaces, community groups and schools.
• Champion success. You will support and inspire event organizers, participants and volunteers to be successful in their desire to support Heart & Stroke. You will assist teams and individuals with online fundraising.
• Troubleshoot. You will anticipate program participant needs and proactively search for solutions to ensure participant expectations are met or exceeded.
• Track and report. You will monitor program statistics, analyze the results and work with your manager to plan and influence fundraising results and relationships. You will prepare weekly status summaries and reports for review with the Manager, Community Fundraising.
What you bring
• The education. You have a university degree in a relevant field.
• The experience. You have 2+ years in fundraising, event coordination, project management, sales, marketing, business development and/or account management. You know how to increase volunteer engagement and work with diverse stakeholders. You may be required occasionally to bend, lift and carry material up to 30 pounds.
• The relationship building expertise. You can gain the trust of the community and school audiences, deepening existing and growing new relationships. You can inspire action, build momentum, and encourage participation.
• The communication skills. You can effectively promote opportunities and partnerships through excellent public speaking, engaging presentations and face-to-face networking. You have outstanding written and verbal skills.
• The ownership. You are proactive, goal-oriented and creatively resourceful.
• The adaptability. You are comfortable working independently as part of a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. You can manage a demanding schedule and prioritize responsibilities. You must be able to manage multiple projects both in person and remotely.
• The technical abilities. You are proficient with MS Office, especially Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel. Experience working with spreadsheets, a CRM database and online fundraising platforms would be an asset.
• The flexibility. You can lead, participate in and support evening and weekend community events. You understand late or extra hours are often needed.
• You have a valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle and comfortable with travelling throughout your geographic area.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.