Position: Specialist, Health Impact & Research
Reports to: Director, Mission
Location: Calgary, AB
Status: Permanent, Full-time
THE HEART AND STROKE FOUNDATION
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
The Specialist, Health Impact and Research plans, implements and evaluates identified mission initiatives in Alberta and NWT to advance organizational priorities. The role builds strong relations with Indigenous communities, Alberta researchers and institutes, Alberta Health Services, and system leaders to advance health systems change, patient engagement, advocacy initiatives and research liaison. The role is responsible for working with colleagues across the country to achieve impact.
- Aligns mission initiative with strategic priorities to achieve impact
- Plans, organizes and executes initiatives in collaboration with employees, people with lived experience, volunteers and partners to meet the mission priorities
- Develops, activates, and monitors the provincial contributions to shared national mission initiatives,
- Contributes to environmental scans of provincial health system and research opportunities aligned with mission priorities
- Prepares SWOT analysis for identified mission initiatives to inform priorities
- Considers and promotes health equity for all mission initiatives
- Recommends short and medium-term opportunities for consideration to SLT
Plans & implements mission initiatives
- Collaborates with health systems stakeholders to increase Albertans access to Heart & Stroke health information and best practices. Fosters volunteer engagement and inclusion of volunteers in programs and processes to enhance capacity and impact
- Engages patients and people with lived experience in mission activities and initiatives to enhance recovery
- Provides executive support to volunteer advisories
- Facilitates Alberta research focus on health systems and policy change
- Transfers knowledge on impact to raise support
- Documents the highlights and achievements of identified mission initiatives for understanding impact, in collaboration with national colleagues in both mission and Development teams.
- Works with Development and Communications teams in dissemination of success of high-impact mission initiatives
- Collaborates in the profiling of Alberta research with Development and Communications teams to leverage support
- Provides input and support to Development to assist in preparing proposals and presenting to stakeholders
- Collaborates to achieve success
- University Degree in Health Sciences field; additional education in health promotion, stakeholder engagement, and project management an asset
Experience and Skills
- 5 years’ experience in a setting where knowledge translation and health systems improvement are a focus
- 3-5 years’ experience in a setting where health promotion and advocacy are a focus
- Experience in developing and implementing initiatives across a variety of sites
- Experience working with health care institutions, academic institutes and community groups
- Experience working with volunteers
- Experience in the nonprofit sector preferred
- Demonstrates working knowledge of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular health and disease conditions and health promotion
- Demonstrates working knowledge of the Alberta scientific research community
- Establishes relevant networks and facilitates stakeholder engagement, teamwork, collaboration and partnership with diverse teams and a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal including public speaking
- Strong project management skills
- A high degree of independence, creativity, initiative and accountability, anticipating and responding to individual and program needs
- Experience in synthesis of reports, trends and analysis
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to optimize results
- Excellent Computer skills (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Share point)
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include the reference number SPM201810CGY and your name (first and last) in the subject line of your email.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.