Position: Manager, Community Fundraising
Department: Community Engagement
Location: Southern Alberta (Calgary Area Office)
Status: Full-Time; Permanent
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives. Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 30,000 volunteers and more than 1 million donors.
Our bold, dynamic and passionate Community Engagement field teams are responsible for driving significant revenue growth through the community based fundraising programs while developing a strong volunteer network and community relationships. This team plays a significant role at the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSFC) in raising $1.8M to enable the Foundation to deliver its critical mission and reduce the impact of heart disease and stroke.
In this role you will:
- Provide leadership and community giving expertise to a team of staff and senior level volunteers to successfully achieve fundraising goals
- Develop a portfolio of prospects including key businesses, organizations and individuals at various stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Work collaboratively with internal partners to effectively steward relationships which includes identifying and engaging top donor prospects in the region
- Promote Heart & Stroke’s (H&S) mission, and implement strategies to strengthen community presence
Fundraising & Revenue Generation
- Manage day-to-day operations of the area office and ensures the total fundraising goal is achieved
- Develop and execute local plans; Track and monitor key benchmarks of the community programs and ensure milestones are successfully achieved
- Support Regional Director and internal partners to identify donors who are prospects for major gifts, legacy giving and corporate philanthropy
- Use data analytics and the community fundraising strategy to further engage supporters and increase donor acquisition, participation and revenue
- Prioritize, cultivate and steward top existing relationships to deepen their connection to H&S
- Develop and implement strategies to introduce, maintain and expand relationships with new and current businesses, organizations and individuals to achieve fundraising objectives
- Collaborate with colleagues to identify and maximize cross-functional/cross-market opportunities in alignment with the Foundations mission and goals.
- Support the implementation and execution of new National initiatives
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive understanding of fundraising methodology and trends in charitable giving
Community Engagement & Volunteer Development
- Drive the ongoing process of identifying, recruiting and activating an influential and diverse volunteer leadership base to champion the success of H&S through their corporate and personal giving while also influencing the involvement and giving of others
- Develop a strong volunteer structure to support the effective delivery of administrative and community activities for the area office
- Responsible for leadership in volunteer recruitment, development and engagement
- Participate in and serve as the H&S representative at community, corporate and health-related functions that will provide networking opportunities and new business contacts
- Oversee plans and logistics, with support from the team, for supporter and volunteer engagement events, recognition receptions and cultivation events
Business Management & Planning
- Perform assessments of resources required and financial ROI analysis for local fundraising initiatives, identifying areas of growth, efficiencies, and opportunities to leverage technology
- Lead the development and management of area office implementation plans
- Complete a detailed monthly review of area office spending, revenue and key business indicators against budget and ensure accurate and timely forecasts, accounting and reporting
- Regularly evaluate and report on progress utilizing tools and reporting systems available
- Ensure the integrity and security of donor information and adhere to established policies and procedures
- Operate in accordance with operational and financial standards, and all laws, regulations
- Lead the development of an effective and high performing area office team, providing operational leadership for the refinement and growth of four National fundraising programs (Jump Rope for Heart, Heart & Stroke Canvass, Big Bike, My Own Fundraiser) within a new community engagement strategy
- Demonstrate the values and behaviors of the foundation
- Encourage open communication that results in an environment where team members willingly help each other, conflicts are quickly resolved, agreed-upon standards are respected and there is a shared accountability for the overall success of the office
- Partner with Human Resources to recruit skilled talent in support of current Foundation needs aligned with Foundation practices to build and sustain a high performing, highly engaged and Nationally aligned team
- Develop collaborative cross functional and lateral relationships
- Establish individual performance plans and goals; comply with performance review cycle
- Provide clear direction, coaching and feedback to direct reports to ensure business goals are on track and in line with the strategic direction
- Ensure team members are well supported in fulfilling their accountabilities, achieving their revenue goals and developing their skills to attain their career potential
- Familiarize and comply with all Human Resources management policies.
- Ensure accurate administration of employee related information: absence records, vacation, title, etc.
- Understand and follow Health & Safety guidelines under applicable Provincial Legislation
- University degree or college diploma with a combination of relevant experience
- 5-7 years of recent related experience in fundraising and/ or results oriented business environment.
- 3 years of management experience, working with volunteers and diverse communities
- Experience and comfort developing new relationships and taking existing relationships to the next level
- Managing team members at a distance would be an asset
- Proven success in fundraising, particularly in the area of peer-to-peer, and/or individual giving.
- Demonstrated ability to fundraise, manage volunteer relationships and achieve business results
- Leadership and coaching skills with a proven ability to achieve results through others
- Proven ability to develop and engage a large team and create an environment that is motivating and inspiring to build a culture aligned with the Foundation’s values
- Ability to navigate and work within a large, matrix organization with multiple stakeholders/partners and execute national plans
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills; able to influence outcomes, build persuasive arguments and gain support to achieve business goals.
- Proven ability to relate and present to diverse groups of people.
- High degree of accountability to goals, teamwork and following best practices
- Proactive, self-motivated and resourceful
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret reports and manage financial information
- Strong technical abilities and experience working with a CRM database and online fundraising platforms
- Demonstrated ability to update and maintain database and extract information for forecasting and reports.
- Effectively able to manage a demanding schedule and evaluate/ prioritize activities to focus efforts against key business priorities that add value
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Ability to anticipate and plan, problem solve and exercise sound judgment
- Flexible and adaptable - able to work in a fast paced, ever-changing environment
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.