7 servings / 40 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 25 min
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 2 small sweet potatoes or 1 large (about 1 lb/454 g), peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped, roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chickpea hummus
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups (750 mL) no salt added, vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh cilantro, mint, basil, dill, or parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) lime zest
- In a bowl, whisk together yogurt, cilantro, and lime zest. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add sweet potatoes, onion, and garlic, stirring for about 5 minutes or until onion starts to soften. Stir in peanuts, tomato paste, hummus, and ginger. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and dollop with cilantro yogurt.
Tip: You can use butternut squash instead of sweet potato.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 7)
- Calories 160
- Protein 6 g
- Total fat 6 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Trans fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 21 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 7 g
- Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 80 mg