6 servings / 1 hour 5 minutes
Prep 15 min / Cook 50 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 leek, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown rice
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) sodium reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped dried figs, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shredded Asiago or Manchego cheese (optional)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- In a wide saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook leek and garlic, stirring for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add rice and cook for 1 minute. Add pepper; broth and figs; stir. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for about 30 - 45 minutes or until broth is absorbed and rice is tender. Spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle with almonds, asiago, if using and parsley to serve
Tip: Substitute pitted dates for the figs in the recipe.
Tip: Using a wider saucepan can reduce the amount of cooking time compared to a deep pot.
Tip: Different brown rice varieties or brands may have different cooking times - serve when rice is tender.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)*
- Calories 220
- Protein 5 g
- Total fat 6 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 38 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 8 g
- Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 200 mg
- Potassium 300 mg