Ottawa Area Office Event Management Support Volunteer
The Heart and Stroke Foundation, a volunteer-based health charity, leads in eliminating heart disease and stroke and reducing their impact through the advancement of research and its application, the promotion of healthy living, and advocacy.
As an Area Office Event Management Support Volunteer, you will support coordination of engaging and impactful fundraising and supporter engagement events. You will also liaise with individuals and organizations in the National Capital Region and surrounding communities to build capacity for Heart & Stroke’s Big Bike program by effectively communicating Heart & Stroke’s messaging and encouraging community members to participate.
This is an ideal role for students pursuing careers in event management, non-profit management, sales, or business operations; the role is suitable for an unpaid student placement or co-operative learning opportunity.
• Under employee guidance, organizing venues, invitation lists, and logistics for Heart & Stroke Big Bike events in the National Capital Region and surrounding communities.
• Motivating individuals and groups to lead or participate in Heart & Stroke’s Big Bike program.
• Conducting event-related administrative activities (e.g. database maintenance, revenue administration).
• Under employee guidance, complete online research on new event partnership opportunities.
• Supporting event promotion and marketing through managing professional relationships with individuals and organizations.
• Disseminating campaign and health information in accordance with Heart & Stroke communications best practices.
• Understanding and following Heart & Stroke’s confidentiality guidelines to protect supporter privacy and personal information.
• 1+ years of customer service, event management, and/or marketing experience in a professional, educational, or volunteer capacity.
• Exhibits high degree of professionalism, confidentiality, tact and diplomacy.
• Exceptional phone manner, email aptitude, and an excellent command of written and spoken English.
• Solutions-oriented, resourceful, and ready to learn every day.
• Comfortable on the computer (PC environment): familiar with MS Excel, MS Word, and data management systems (familiarity with Blackbaud CRM or other Blackbaud products such as Raiser’s Edge is an asset)
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle. Mileage reimbursement is available.
• Fluency in French is a strong asset.
1525 Carling Avenue, Suite 110, Ottawa ON, K1Z 8R9
Nearest Transit Stop: Carling/ Saigon
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
5-15 hours per week (over 1-3 shifts). Volunteers may choose to exceed 15 hours of work each week.
Shifts are flexible and will be determined in conjunction with your employee partner.
A minimum commitment of four months is required for this role.
Benefits and Competencies developed:
• Opportunities to gain real-world professional skills with a leading non-profit organization.
• Opportunities to network with other passionate volunteers and employees.
• Evidence of your impact in the local community.
• Opportunities for cross-training with other volunteer roles at Heart & Stroke.
• Letter of Reference upon request.
Orientation and training:
• Orientation to the office, team, and position from your employee partner.
• Relevant job-shadowing to support understanding of role.
• Detailed written descriptions of tasks.
• One-on-one training (where relevant) with employee partner.
• Ongoing training and mentorship.
Please mail your professional resume and cover letter to Elizabeth.Ravary@heartandstroke.ca