Role Title: Health Promoter Volunteer, Activate (Ottawa)
Category: Health Initiatives
Location: Various locations across Ottawa
Time Commitment: 2 days minimum
The Heart and Stroke Foundation, a volunteer-based health charity, leads in eliminating heart disease and stroke and reducing their impact through the advancement of research and its application, the promotion of healthy living, and advocacy.
Heart and Stroke launched Activate, an innovative project, in March 2018. We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join our team in Ottawa, Ontario.
This role offers volunteers practical experience in community health promotion to help Canadians manage their blood pressure and improve their overall wellness.
Volunteers will be responsible for program enrollment at YMCA locations in Ottawa. As part of the enrollment process, volunteers will take participants’ blood pressure, help participants understand their current risk of cardiovascular disease, and explain how Heart and Stroke’s program will support them to make small, yet significant, lifestyle changes.
To learn more about Activate, please visit: http://www.heartandstroke.ca/get-healthy/activate
Some activities associated with this role include:
- Complete mandatory training in October 2019 during the volunteer’s first Activate volunteer shift
- Greet members of the public and encourage them to learn about the Activate program
- Explain the goals of Activate, as well as provide background about the program
- Take potential participant’s blood pressure reading using an automated machine to see if they qualify
- Communicate whether potential participants are within the normal, pre-hypertensive, or hypertensive range
- Enroll eligible participants into the program’s digital health platform using a mobile tablet device (provided by the Heart and Stroke Foundation)
- Facilitate completion of a cardiovascular health risk assessment questionnaire
- Briefly discuss how the program can support participants’ health goals based on their cardiovascular risk profile and provide next steps
Carlingwood YMCA-YWCA October 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
Taggart Family YMCA-YWCA October 4th, 5th and 6th
Ruddy Family YMCA-YWCA October 8th and 9th
Clarence-Rockland YMCA-YWCA October 10th
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require accommodations due to disability to participant in the recruitment and selection process, please advise us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Timeline: October 1st – 10th for a minimum of 2 days
Volunteers are required to donate a minimum of 2 shifts (6 hours each shift) throughout Activate’s time in Ottawa.
Qualities you’ll need for this role:
- Passionate about healthy living; understands the basics of cardiovascular disease
- Experience with community health promotion programs, community health nursing, social work, personal support worker, and other similar programs is a strong asset
- Friendly, approachable, and enjoys interacting with people
- Strong English communication skills (written and verbal)
- Comfortable and proficient using computers/ mobile tablet devices
- Committed to the program’s success and diligent about “going the extra mile” as required to achieve this success
Benefits and Competencies developed:
- Exposure to an innovative health program and its impact in the community Opportunities to educate the public about high blood pressure risks and preventive measures
- Training in areas such as communication and client care
- Hands-on experience in measuring blood pressure
- Increased knowledge around cardiovascular disease and healthy living
- Opportunities to educate and support seniors in their journeys to make changes towards healthy living
- Opportunities to interact with a dynamic team of Heart & Stroke volunteers and employees
- Heart & Stroke certificate
- Verification of service hours (by request)
Please email your resume and a short statement about why you are interested in the role to Madeline Locke (Senior Specialist, Volunteer Engagement- Activate): email@example.com