Location: 2300 Yonge St Suite 1300, Toronto
Time Commitment: 18 hours per week: volunteer shifts are 3 days per week, 10am-4pm each day with 1-hour break
Overview of the role
The Heart and Stroke Foundation, a volunteer-based health charity, leads in eliminating heart disease and stroke and reducing their impact through the advancement of research and its application, the promotion of healthy living, and advocacy.
As a Health Fair Representative Volunteer, you will act as a Foundation ambassador at local health fairs manning the Foundation booth. You will be working alongside the Coordinator, Big Bike and/or My Own Fundraiser, or independently. This is a great opportunity for students in the health fields and/or anyone who is looking to give back to their local community.
Some activities associated with this role include:
• Review and become familiar with appropriate content materials for health fair booth presentations
• Being prepared for each event and arriving at each venue in appropriate time to set up for presentation
• Presenting enthusiastically and with a professional appearance and attitude
• Communicating only Foundation points of views and refraining from stating personal opinion regarding any topic matter
• Maintaining, transporting, and returning presentation material and equipment
• Administrative support through volunteer recruitment, checking and responding to general inbox related to requests from community, data entry, etc.
As a volunteer in this role, you will need the following qualities:
• Professional demeanor and is comfortable handling questions from audiences of all age groups
• Able to work independently and as part of a team
• Able to follow written and spoken English instructions accurately
• Enthusiastic about the mission of the Foundation
• Past experience in the facilitation of presentations in different subject matters is an asset
• Detail oriented, organized, and focused
2300 Yonge Street, Suite 1300 Toronto, ON M4P 1E4
Nearest Transit Stop: Eglinton Station
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Benefits and Competencies:
As a volunteer, you will be provided with:
• Opportunities to gain real-world professional skills with a leading non-profit organization.
• Opportunities to network with other passionate volunteers and staff members.
• Making an impact in the local community.
• Opportunities for cross-training for Customer Service Volunteer role.
• Opportunity to expand knowledge and skill in customer service support
Orientation and training:
• First day orientation to the office, team, and position from your staff supervisor.
• One-on-one training (where relevant) with staff supervisor.
• Ongoing training and mentorship.
• Self-training from written process manual
If you are interested in being involved with Heart & Stroke through volunteering, please apply by sending your resume (detailing experience obtained which matches the above requirements) and cover letter to email@example.com with the heading Health Fair Representative - Volunteer.