The Heart and Stroke Foundation, a volunteer-based health charity, leads in eliminating heart disease and stroke and reducing their impact through the advancement of research and its application, the promotion of healthy living, and advocacy.
As a French-English Bilingual Youth Engagement Volunteer, you will engage our Jump Rope for Heart community by facilitating school presentations and event day activities in French and English.
This role is a great fit for French-speaking teacher candidates and retired teachers.
- Deliver motivational and educational presentations in French and English to groups of 30-200 school-age youth that promotes healthy lifestyles and encourages fundraising efforts.
- Assist with recruitment, recognition, and stewardship of school staff and parents to build capacity for Heart & Stroke’s youth programming in the National Capital Region.
- Support program administration in schools (e.g. pledge form distribution, kit collection)
- Disseminate campaign and health information in accordance with Heart & Stroke communications best practices.
- Support teacher volunteers with skipping activity facilitation in French and English.
1525 Carling Avenue, Suite 110
Ottawa, ON K1Z 8R9
Nearest Transit Stop: Carling Avenue at Saigon Court
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
5-10 hours per week, depending on program needs.
March- May 2018 will require the highest volume of volunteer time.
Shifts generally occur between the hours of 9am-3pm, Monday- Friday. Please note, presentations may run outside these hours according to school availability.
Volunteers will work with the staff supervisor to define shift schedules at least two weeks in advance.
This position starts in January 2018 and runs until the end of June 2018.
Qualities you’ll need for this role:
- French-English bilingualism (written and spoken).
- Completion of secondary school, age 18+.
- 1+ year of experience working with children (ages 5-12) in a professional or volunteer capacity.
- Excellent public speaking skills and experience presenting to children in English and French.
- Detail oriented, organized, and focused.
- An energetic and enthusiastic persona.
- Strong customer service skills; able to address or redirect questions in a professional manner.
- Strong attention-to-detail and the ability to multitask.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computers (PC environment): familiar with MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle is an asset. Mileage reimbursement is available.
- Experience working or volunteering in school settings is an asset.
What you’ll get from the experience:
As a volunteer, you will be provided with:
- Opportunities to gain experience working in schools and with teachers and school administrators.
- Opportunities to gain real-world professional skills with a leading non-profit organization.
- Opportunities to work closely with staff who are committed to your success.
- Opportunities to network with other passionate Heart & Stroke volunteers.
- Evidence of your impact in the local community.
- Letter of Reference upon request.
- Orientation to the office, team, and position from your staff supervisor.
- Detailed written descriptions of tasks.
- One-on-one training (where relevant) with staff supervisor.
- Ongoing training and mentorship.
Please email your professional resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org