6 servings / 50 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 30 min
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced gingerroot
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped parsnips (about 1 lb/450 g)
- 2 tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium oblong baking or all-purpose potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) 1% milk
- 2 to 4 tbsp (25 to 50 mL) freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tsp (20 mL) sliced almonds, toasted
- In a pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion for 3 minutes or until starting to soften. Add ginger and curry powder; sauté for about 2 minutes or until onions are softened. Stir in parsnips, apples, potato, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper, and broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Whisk flour into milk and stir into pot. Use an immersion blender in the pot or transfer soup to a blender or food processor, in batches, and purée until smooth.
- Return to pot, if necessary. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drizzle in 2 tbsp (25 mL) lime or lemon juice while stirring. Season with more lime or lemon juice, if desired, and up to 1/4 tsp (1 mL) more pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into warmed bowls and sprinkle with cilantro and almonds.
Nutritional info per serving ( 1 of 6)
- Calories 191
- Protein 8 g
- Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
- Carbohydrates 36 g
Fibre 7 g
Sugars 15 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 86 mg
- Potassium 742 mg