8 servings / Up to 1 hr 40 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 1 hr 5 min - 1 hr 20 min
This double-layered side dish can be served right away or made ahead to reheat in the oven later.
- 4 yellow-fleshed potatoes, (about 1-1/2 lbs/750 g)
- 2 sweet potatoes, (about 2 lbs/1 kg)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup (250 mL) 1% milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) non-fat plain Greek yogurt, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded lower fat Canadian old Cheddar or Swiss cheese or 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded regular Canadian old Cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Peel yellow and sweet potatoes and cut into chunks (keep separate). Combine yellow potatoes and garlic in one saucepan; add cold water to cover. Repeat with sweet potatoes in another saucepan. Bring both pans to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for 10 to 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain; return potatoes to pans.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan or in a microwave-safe measuring cup, combine milk and pepper. Heat over medium heat on stovetop or on Medium (50%) power in microwave until steaming, for about 3 minutes.
- Lightly oil an 11 x 7-inch (28 x 18 cm) or 8-inch (20 cm) square glass baking dish.
- Mash yellow potatoes and garlic while gradually adding 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the warmed milk and half of the Greek yogurt. Spread into baking dish. Mash sweet potatoes while gradually adding remaining warmed milk and remaining Greek yogurt. Spoon on top of yellow potatoes and gently spread to cover. (Can be cooled, covered and refrigerated up to 2 days).
- If casserole has been refrigerated, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until heated through.
- Preheat broiler. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese and parsley; sprinkle over hot potatoes in dish. Broil for about 3 minutes or until topping is crisp and golden.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 8)
- Calories 239
- Protein 10 g
- Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
- Carbohydrates 44 g
Fibre 6 g
Sugars 9 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 204 mg
- Potassium 899 mg